Academic requirements: A 2:1 class honours degree (or international equivalent) is usually required in a relevant subject (including, but not limited to, a modern foreign language, English, Education, Linguistics etc). If you have a lower degree classification, or a degree in an unrelated subject, your application may be considered if you can demonstrate significant relevant work experience, or offer a related graduate qualification (such as a Masters or PGDip). Professional requirements: All applicants should also have experience equivalent to three years' full-time in language teaching or a related post. Note: if, in addition to the above, you also have the Cambridge ESOL DELTA or Trinity House Diploma in ELT, then you may be eligible for the "fast track" version of this programme. The "fast track" gives you exemption from Principles & Practice in ELT, and one of the option courses. See the 'Structure' tab for further details.
Months of entry
This MA in Applied Linguistics and English Language Teaching is for experienced EFL teachers wanting to learn more about current ELT/ESL research, theory, pedagogy and practice. A great opportunity to develop your career in TEFL/TESOL and develop expertise in specialist fields such as language assessment and testing, materials development, teaching EAP, becoming a teacher educator, management and evaluation and ESOL.
- An opportunity to expand your knowledge of current theoretical and practical aspects of language teaching.
- Develop professional expertise relevant to your career development in areas such as EAP, teaching ESOL, materials development, language testing and assessment, teacher education.
- Excellent tutorial support and extensive programme-specific training in research methods and academic writing.
- Exchange ideas with other experienced language teaching professionals from many different contexts.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Taught Programmes Officer