- Bachelor's degree with 2:2 honours or above (or overseas equivalent) with knowledge and understanding of the subject you intend to teach.
- GCSE grade C or above, or an equivalent qualification, in English Language and mathematics. Applicants without these English or mathematics qualifications at the time they apply may be considered, but they must obtain them, or pass an equivalent test approved by King's, before the course starts.
- Applicants for Modern Foreign Languages need to offer two languages, either French and German or French and Spanish, with qualifications equivalent to at least AS-level in the subsidiary language.
Months of entry
The course provides practical and theoretical ideas about language teaching from tutors and practising teachers. You will be able to participate in the research projects of the course tutors and develop as classroom researchers over the course. In the last research assessment exercise, the department was rated second in the UK (REF, 2014).
- An Ofsted Outstanding rated course that is designed around a strong research base to provide you with the knowledge and essential skills for a successful teaching career.
- A sociable course where you will be expected to work with others, discussing issues and problems about teaching.
- A working partnership with a broad range of up to 150 schools in London and beyond, providing unique opportunities to learn how to teach a diverse mix of students.
- Trainees benefit from our central London location and participate in specially organised events such as a workshop at the BFI, visits to the French, German and Spanish Institutes, and other regular conference events.
- At the conclusion of their PGCE course in July 2020 87% of our trainees had been employed as NQTs at schools in the UK and abroad.
- Two assessed pieces of coursework give you 60 Master’s-level credits – a third of an MA – which puts you well on the way to a Master’s degree in your chosen profession.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time10 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Officer