Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Master’s degree or equivalent in English literature or literature in other languages, usually with an average of at least 65% for UK MA's.
As part of your application you also need to provide:
- A viable research proposal. Guidance for writing a research proposal can be found here.
- A sample of written work, eg an essay or dissertation chapter of approximately 3000-5000 words
- Details of the research areas can be found on the Department’s website. If you are interested in applying for one of our PhD programmes, you may wish to informally contact a potential supervisor for guidance on the proposal prior to submitting your application.
- If you submit an application you should include the names of any potential supervisors that you have identified
Months of entry
Entry to our MPhil/PhD courses is for those who have already demonstrated potential for independent study at MA level. We accept proposals in all literary fields, but are particularly interested in matching students with the expertise in our research centres and among our staff.
Information for international students
IELTS: Overall score of at least 7.0, with no individual element below 6.5
Fees and funding
Learn more on our Fees and Funding page.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- English Literature Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)1524 593089