- Applicants should have at least a lower second-class honours degree relevant to secondary education in or related to the subject area the candidate is applying for.
- All applicants must have grade C passes in GCSE English Language and Maths (or equivalent) before making their application.
- We usually require evidence of experience working with children of different ages within the 11-16 age-range. Preferably this would be across KS3 and KS4 in a UK secondary school/setting and would equate to about 10-15 days in total.
Months of entry
We are an established sports education provider with a rich sporting pedigree. Your skills and knowledge will be nurtured in a supportive learning community with vast experience of training the next generation of PE teachers. Your network of support will include our research staff and course tutors, who will be on hand to sharpen your teaching expertise and knowledge of the subject, ensuring it is informed by the latest research and practices.
You will have access to our wide range of first-class sporting facilities - used by international athletes and Olympic medal winners - to help you in the practical application of your theoretical learning. These include 3G pitches, indoor and floodlit outdoor tennis courts, an athletics track, a swimming pool and gyms packed with the latest fitness equipment.
We will develop your communication skills so that you can confidently manage a large group of pupils. For example, you will understand the importance of varying your tone of voice during group activities, learn how to use equipment such as whistles appropriately and how to address and maintain the attention of your pupils when teaching PE.
We will also give you the skills to confidently manage classes with wide differences in ability. You will be able to devise lessons that develop from personalised activities to games that involve and stimulate your entire class.
Due to the nature of PE, you will not always be able to run your classes outdoors. We will also develop your organisational skills so that you will be able to plan your lessons and teach effectively regardless of the weather.
Your training will also develop your understanding of how PE can be used to motivate and strengthen learning in your pupils beyond the physical benefits of sport.
You can choose from two different training models.
- University-led - You will develop your theoretical knowledge at our Headingley Campus, which offers a superb learning environment, modern facilities and excellent resources. Your learning will be informed by the very latest research and the expertise of our supportive teaching staff. We will organise your extensive school placements so you can apply your knowledge in a classroom setting and your placements will be timetabled to fit with your taught seminars on campus
- School Direct - For the vast majority of your course, you will be based in your provider school or schools, learning on the job while being supported by experienced teachers and mentors. You will attend our Headingley Campus one day a week (usually a Friday) for key module seminars.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Enquiries
- +44 (0)113 812 3113