Applicants should either have at least a second class honours degree in a cognate subject; at least a second class honours degree in a non-cognate subject supported by evidence of an aptitude for the subject applied for; or have equivalent experience or training, normally from within the work environment. All applicants are required to submit an online portfolio of creative or other work relevant to documentary which includes a proposal for a new documentary film.
Months of entry
Documentary filmmaking is constantly evolving, thanks to the rise of internet and social media, there are now countless places for filmmakers to screen their work.
As part of this course you’ll:
- Understand how to find an audience for the idea or subject you are passionate about
- Develop the expertise to turn your vision into a bold and innovative film
- Have the opportunity to explore and communicate a subject you’re passionate about at the Northern Film School
- Join a strong and successful group of graduates, many of whom have won Oscars and BAFTAs for their work
- Be supported by experienced staff who will give you the support you need to explore your ideas and creativity, and make your passion a visual reality
- Have access to our industry-standard facilities
- We support all types of filmmaking, including campaigning and issue-led films, observational and character pieces, experimental films and wildlife documentaries.
The Northern Film School
The prestige of the Northern Film School will set you up to achieve your ambitions and our reputation will provide you with the foundation to becoming a successful documentary filmmaker.
We have contacts with the BBC, ITV and Channel Four and strong connections to Sheffield International Documentary Festival where you will have the opportunity to showcase your work.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time18 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admission Enquiries
- +44 (0)113 812 3113