About Leeds Conservatoire
Leeds Conservatoire is the largest multidisciplinary conservatoire in the UK, with a wide range of Postgraduate music and performing arts degrees to help you find your sound, style and fulfil your vision.
Pioneers in music education, Leeds Conservatoire were the first UK conservatoire to offer Music Production and Popular Music, and Europe’s first jazz degree.
We boast a close-knit collaborative community that allows you to work with any creative you need right here on campus.
Our Postgraduate Courses
We offer specialist Postgraduate degree study in the following areas:
Each course is built around collaboration and self-development, tailored to suit your interests and requirements as a professional-level artist and creative.
Collaborating among other students made me a more open-minded, confident and well-rounded musician.Marija Clara, MA Music
Preparing you for industry
We want to empower every graduate with the skills, experience and contacts to form a rewarding and sustainable career. That’s why our Postgraduate degrees offer an immediate introduction to industry.
On our MA theatre and performing arts courses, you’ll work with leading institutions across the North, taking advantage of the diverse theatre community on our doorstep. These include Leeds Playhouse, Slung Low, Red Ladder and Opera North.
Meanwhile, our MA Music course offers the chance to learn from some of the best names in industry through regular masterclasses. Recent guests include Radiohead drummer Clive Deamer and Grace Jones’ bassist Malcolm Joseph.
Through our dedicated Employability and Enterprise team, you’ll also have access to industry-focused support and funding opportunities to help you realise your career goals.
The opportunities promoted and provided by the conservatoire have really motivated me and allowed my musical career to start taking shape.
Frankie Statham, MA Music
Industry Standard Facilities
- The Venue is our flagship 350-seat performance space that hosts events and performances throughout the year.
- Our Recital Room is used for workshops, student nights, and more intimate performances.
- We are committed to providing musical opportunities of the highest standard. We are a Steinway School (90% of our pianos originate from Steinway) and students can access a plethora of instruments for loan.
- We have over 40 practice rooms including percussion suites.
- Our industry-standard facilities include six recording studios, seven mixing rooms, a DJ suite, and Mac Labs with MIDI keyboards.
- Our Playhouse Square facilities have bespoke rehearsal and ensemble rooms with a panoramic view over the city, two dance studios, a green room and breakout areas.
- Our MA Dramaturgy course is delivered in direct partnership with Leeds Playhouse, allowing students access to the venue and professional departments.
- The Mabgate Studios are home to large communal spaces and four rehearsal rooms.
- Social and networking spaces include our stunning Rooftop Bar and the bustling Café Bar, which is a haven for student socialising.
Supporting your study
Our dedicated Student Support Services team are here to support you during your time at Leeds Conservatoire. You can also contact the Student Support Services team if you have any questions before you register on the course.
Support teams include
- Fees and Funding
- Disability and Learning Support
- Study Skills and Performers Wellbeing
- Health and Wellbeing
- International Student Support
- Care Leavers and Estranged Students Support
Our Leeds Conservatoire Postgraduate Bursary offers 20 bursaries of £1,000 to help toward students’ living costs. We also offer an alumni discount of 10% off tuition fees. Find out more.
As a mature student I was nervous about returning to education, but the faculty were so welcoming, and with their support I’ve taken my creativity to a new level.
Lucie Raine, MA Musical Theatre Creative
With one of Britain’s largest student populations, Leeds has an abundance of accommodation options to suit all needs and budgets. Just a 20-minute walk from Leeds Conservatoire, students can find home in a number of private halls.
Taking a short bus ride out from the conservatoire opens up an increasing pool of private halls, as well as shared houses and flats in popular, nearby student areas.
Life in Leeds
Something for everyone
A bustling city that’s rich in culture and heritage, Leeds ensures that whether you’re into galleries or gastropubs, libraries or laser tag, museums or markets, you’ll find yourself at home in a place that often tops the polls for best student city.
Paved with opportunities
With thriving businesses and a creative ecosystem, Leeds is also a place of immense opportunity. The city is now home to EMI North, the first major UK record label to open outside of London, as well as renowned creative employers such as ITV and Channel 4, as well as theatre companies such as West Yorkshire Playhouse, Red Ladder, Opera North and more.
At the heart of the UK
As a major Northern city, Leeds also boasts excellent local, national, and international transport links. Manchester, Sheffield and York are under one hour away by train, and London can be reached in two.
How to apply
You can apply to our Postgraduate degrees via UCAS Conservatoires or through our direct application form.
Find out more about how to apply to Leeds Conservatoire.
Come visit us
We host open days throughout the year, as well as private campus tours. These offer great opportunities to see our facilities, hear from our tutors and learn more about Postgraduate study at Leeds Conservatoire.
Register your interest in future Open Days.
Request your prospectus
Explore our Postgraduate degrees, industry-standard facilities and all we have to offer in more detail.
Download your free prospectus
- Social media accounts