- A good honours degree (2ii or above) in a subject relevant to Computer Science and/or ICT.
- GCSE Grade C (or accepted equivalent) English and Mathematics. We offer our GCSE equivalency tests to those who have a conditional place on the course but do not already have these qualifications.
- Suitable personal and intellectual qualities required for teaching in secondary schools.
- Commitment, attitudes and values appropriate to that of a secondary teacher.
- Ability to read effectively and communicate clearly and accurately in spoken and written Standard English, and to have passed the DFE Professional Skills Tests in numeracy and literacy.
- The capacity to meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach. All successful candidates will be asked to complete a health assessment as part of the entry conditions to the programme.
Candidates with third class honours degrees will be considered on an individual basis, and normally only if candidates have additional qualifications and/or significant relevant professional experience.
In addition to the above essential entry requirements, successful applicants also tend to have:
- Advanced level qualifications (or equivalent) in ICT or Computing.
- Experience of observing the teaching of Computer Science in a secondary school in this country.
- Up-to-date knowledge of the software packages use in schools, including integrated development environments, website and graphics design tools, video and audio editing tools, basic office packages.
We encourage applications from students who may not match the academic profile outlined above but who can demonstrate that they have developed their subject expertise by working for a substantial period of time supporting the teaching of Computer Science and/or ICT in a secondary school context.
Months of entry
Leeds Trinity PGCE courses are well established with a longstanding reputation for excellence. Trainees do well on our courses, gain employment and progress in their careers.
- The secondary programme will prepare you to teach within the secondary age phase.
- The Leeds Trinity University PGCE Computer Science with ICT programme offers well-structured training to teach pupils across the age and ability range in a diversity of schools, denominational and non-denominational.
- Taught university training is provided by classroom experienced subject experts.
- University tutors are dedicated to supporting you throughout the course and into your first job as a teacher.
- The employment rate of our students is extremely high and graduates have readily obtained teaching posts across the UK as well as within our partnership schools.
- The course qualifies you to teach PGCE Computer Science with ICT at 11–16 with some post-16 enhancement, providing opportunities to develop particular interests at Key Stage 3, 4 or at Advanced Level.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- +44 (0)113 283 7100