About London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
Over 120 years of world-leading research and teaching
Established in 1899, The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM) is dedicated to improving health worldwide through training the next generation of health leaders to address major public and global health challenges.
LSHTM’s expertise ranges from the molecular to the global, the theoretical to the applied, the analytical to the political.
LSHTM is famed for its international, cultural, professional and academic diversity. Students benefit from exposure to a broad range of perspectives, which expands their knowledge across a multitude of disciplines. Specialised, multidisciplinary programmes are taught by experts in their field, whose own research often informs the teaching curriculum.
LSHTM is highly regarded around the world, and was awarded the Queen’s Anniversary Prize in 2021 for our world-leading work on COVID-19 and pandemic preparedness. LSHTM is also:
- #1 in the UK and #3 in the world for Public Health in ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects 2021
- #1 in the UK for % of research published by female authors - CWTS Leiden Ranking 2021
- #4 in the world for Infectious Diseases by US News Global Universities Subject Ranking 2022
Teaching staff are all experts in their respective fields and continue as active researchers, bringing their wealth of experience and up-to-date knowledge directly into the lecture halls and seminar rooms. Many of the staff are well renowned, so students may find themselves being taught by figures they have read about in previous studies.
LSHTM is a leading centre for world-class research. They run hundreds of research projects and research groups working on all aspects of public and global health, while their strategic research centres focus on major health threats at home and overseas. Read more about our research in action.
LSHTM also offers a range of free online courses as a way for students and professionals who would otherwise be unable to undertake a course at LSHTM due to work commitments or lack of funding to benefit from their cutting-edge research and world-class teaching.
These courses cover important topics linked to global health and give an introductory overview at postgraduate level on various topics. Courses are regularly updated and available at different times of the year. We are continuously developing new courses.
Future career prospects
LSHTM has dedicated careers consultants available to students. They offer one-to-one help with interviews, CVs and applications. The careers service is available to students for two years after graduation.
LSHTM’s community of 30,000+ active alumni offers strong networking opportunities through online platforms and in-country groups. LSHTM graduates go on to work in a range of capacities in NGOs, ministries of health, health services in the UK and overseas, academia, charities and private industry. Read more about our graduate careers and destinations.
English language support
Students will need to show that they have a minimum standard of proficiency in English before they enrol at the School. Students who feel that their studies would benefit from additional language support can attend weekly academic English language classes provided by the School after registration. Prior to the start of the academic year, applicants can also enrol on the Pre-sessional English for Academic Purposes.
Our Master's degrees can be tailored individually to your personal learning needs and career goals through a choice of specialised elective modules. Our specialised programmes are stimulating, with a truly global outlook.
There are three faculties at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and we offer a range of postgraduate degrees, including MSc and research degrees, within these fields:
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health
- Clinical Trials (Distance Learning) (MSc / PGDip / PGCert)
- Demography & Health (MSc)
- Health Data Science (MSc)
- Epidemiology (Distance Learning) (MSc / PGDip / PGCert)
- Epidemiology (MSc)
- Global Mental Health (MSc)
- Medical Statistics (MSc)
- Nutrition for Global Health (MSc)
- Public Health for Development (MSc)
- Reproductive & Sexual Health Research (MSc)
Faculty of Infectious and Tropical Diseases
- Control of Infectious Diseases (MSc)
- Immunology of Infectious Diseases (MSc)
- Infectious Diseases (Distance Learning) (MSc / PGDip / PGCert)
- Medical Entomology for Disease Control (MSc)
- Medical Microbiology (MSc)
- Medical Parasitology (MSc)
- One Health (Infectious Diseases) (MSc)
- Public Health for Eye Care (MSc)
- Tropical Medicine & International Health (MSc)
- Veterinary Epidemiology (MSc)
Faculty of Public Health and Policy
- Global Health Policy (Distance Learning) (MSc)
- Health Policy, Planning & Financing (MSc)
- Public Health (Distance Learning) (MSc / PGDip / PGCert)
- Public Health (MSc)
Streams available for Public Health are
- Environment & Health
- Health Economics
- Health Promotion
- Health Services Management
- Health Services Research
- Public Health (General stream)
LSHTM provides a stimulating environment with state-of-the-art facilities in which to carry out research training in the three academic faculties.
These Programmes lead to a University of London degree of DrPH, MPhil and PhD.
Students will need to show that they have a minimum standard of proficiency in English before they enrol at the School.
- Cambridge English Advanced Test: B
- IELTS: overall score of 7.0
- Pearson PTE Academic: overall score of 68
English language support
Students who feel that their studies would benefit from additional language support can attend weekly academic English language classes provided by the School after registration.
Facilities and support arrangements
- IT support
- Student Advice and Counselling Service
Fees, funding and cost of living
Please refer to the LSHTM website for up to date information on fees & funding.
LSHTM offers a number of scholarships each year, which are normally advertised from November to May. Up-to-date information on scholarships, along with resources to help applicants find funding from other sources, is available on the LSHTM's funding pages
A global city of cultural wealth and diversity, London has a wealth of great art, theatres, museums, music and cuisine, as well as green spaces including parks, squares and gardens dotted throughout the city.
You’ll be based in the heart of academic London, just a short walk from the British Library and British Museum; with the West End just a little further away. You’re also close to other University of London colleges and their study and social facilities.