Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- You need at least a 2.2 Bachelor honours degree in a subject relevant to your chosen subject area
- You must have GCSE grade C/grade 4 or above in English and Maths or be retaking them this year
Months of entry
Biology is a fascinating subject which can engage and inspire children. It feeds their natural curiosity and supports them in developing their understanding of the natural world. Science teachers are in great demand and this course appeals to graduates who are passionate about biology but want to develop the skills and understanding to teach science across the curriculum.
- Careful sequencing of curriculum content, informed by up to date research informed practice and covering the national Core Content Framework for teacher training as a minimum expectation.
- Exploration of current debates and key issues relating to Science teaching and learning in secondary schools.
- Developing knowledge and understanding of progression of key concepts in Science, including common misconceptions and an appreciation of the complexity linked to teaching abstract concepts.
- Opportunities to practice and develop the skills of effective planning Science lessons.
- A strong focus on purposeful practical work in Science and the opportunity to practice practical work in University and school-based settings.
- Consolidation of learning and opportunities to put theory into practice, combined with regular and purposeful feedback.
- Promoting Science and cultural capital with our links to cultural and educational establishments.
- Modelling effective instruction and delivery in Science, providing repeated opportunities for critical reflection of practice. Opportunities to consider and practice modelling and using models in Science teaching.
- Expert input into the programme; including sessions led by the Association for Science Education, Institute of Physics, Royal Society of Chemistry.
- Links to professional studies and the opportunity to explore generic pedagogies and learning theories through a Science teaching and learning lens; including literacy, numeracy, special educational needs, metacognition, behaviour and adaptive teaching.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Middlesex Enquiries