- You need at least a 2.2 Bachelor honours degree in a subject relevant to your chosen subject area
- You must also have a GCSE grade C or above in English and maths.
- We also accept equivalency tests by Equivalency Testing, A Star Teachers or other appropriately accredited providers if the testing arrangements have been approved by the ITT team at Middlesex. We cannot accept functional skills or key skills.
We recommend you have completed at least two weeks in a Secondary school setting in the United Kingdom or Ireland before applying.
To begin the course you must also complete a satisfactory enhanced DBS check, submit a health questionnaire and complete a placement form. Further details will be sent to you once you receive an offer.Academic credit for previous study or experience
If you have relevant qualifications or work experience, academic credit may be awarded towards your Middlesex University programme of study. For further information please visit our Accreditation of Prior Learning page.
Entry onto this course requires an interview. We use the interview to find out more about you, to better understand your aspirations and interests, and to explore why you want to study with us.
Prior to commencing the course, you must pass Department for Education professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy. You are advised to pass them wherever possible before your interview in order to give yourself the best possible chance of success. However if you haven't passed at the time of the interview and you receive an offer it will be conditional on passing the tests by a nominated date.
For more information on how to prepare or book a professional skills test, please visit our advice page.
Months of entry
Why study PGCE Secondary Education Science with Biology at Middlesex University?
This one-year full-time course, enables you to meet the national standards for the award of qualified teacher status. Teaching science at Key Stages 3 requires competence across the entire range of the National Curriculum Programme of Study for Science.
Our PGCE Secondary Education Science with Biology course begins with a stimulating mix of biology, chemistry and physics education. You will then focus fully on biology, allowing you to specialise in the teaching of this diverse and engaging subject at Key Stage 4.
We have a range of specialist science and teaching facilities, providing you with a solid foundation on which to develop your skills and experience. We have excellent relationships with schools in and outside London and during your studies, you also will undertake teaching placements in at least two secondary schools and have the chance to acquire skills in the application of new technologies in teaching and learning. Schools are carefully selected to suit each individual and expose them to a variety of imaginative and thought provoking learning strategies. Key experts from our partner schools are on hand to offer invaluable mentoring and support.Course highlights
- You will be encouraged to stay in contact with your tutors, allowing continual mentoring and mutual knowledge exchange
- Many of our graduates have their first teaching job at the schools where they had a placement
- The diverse teaching placements enable you to understand, critically evaluate and respond to the needs of children in multicultural, multilingual and multi-faith settings and schools in an international, urban environment
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Middlesex Enquiries