We welcome applications from graduates with a 2:2 honours degree, or equivalent qualification, in an appropriate subject.
Months of entry
Microbiology is the study of the millions of micro-organisms with which we share our world, dealing with those that cause disease and making use of those of benefit to us. It's a fascinating subject as identifying dangerous microbes, stopping their spread and treating their effects is vital and often life-saving work.
This course has a strong practical element, with an emphasis on developing the skills needed in a laboratory and gaining hands-on experience of diagnostic techniques. You will be able to study and learn within the University's specialist laboratories which include a microbiology lab, a modern, well-equipped cell culture facility and cutting-edge equipment such as MALDI-TOF mass spectrometers and flow cytometers.
The Biomedical Science courses at Middlesex have a burgeoning international reputation and the University's strong links with London hospital laboratories and Public Health England ensures that you will be studying the latest developments, practices and research. Our Centre for Investigative and Diagnostic Oncology has pioneered techniques for cancer diagnosis and treatment, including our breakthrough in the development of a vaccine for bladder cancer.
If you do not wish to study the full MSc, you can apply to the PGDip where you study only eight modules, omitting the Dissertation, or a PGCert where you study only four modules.
- You will have access to on-site molecular biology laboratory for techniques such as DNA sequencing, real-time PCR, electrophoresis and HPLC, as well as fully-equipped proteomics facilities
- The course is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Science
- Our location gives you easy access to the British Library, the Science Museum, the Royal Institution and more
- Our flexible timetable means you'll only spend two days a week at the University if you're studying full-time, or one day if you're part-time
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details