Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
- A good honours degree (2:2 or above).
- A minimum of two years experience in the mental health field, providing they have a professional qualification in a field of mental health practice, eg. medicine, mental health nursing, social work or an allied discipline.
Exceptionally, students who do not have a degree but who can provide evidence of their ability to study at Masters level, and have three years experience of working in the mental health field (voluntary or paid) may be considered.
Months of entry
This flexible and unique programme is designed to allow practitioners who work in mental health services to build upon previous knowledge and experience in the field. It aims to enhance this prior knowledge and experience to facilitate your development and mastery in mental health-related skills and knowledge. It is anticipated that completing this MSc will enable you to contribute to the enhancement of professional mental health practice, research and service development.
This course is delivered entirely online.
Why study MSc/PgDip Mental Health Studies/PGCert Healthcare Studies at Middlesex?
You will be given the opportunity to study with others from a wide range of mental health settings and backgrounds, both nationally and internationally. It is hoped that the diversity of this learning environment stimulates enhanced learning of mental health issues, leading to improved practice and service development.
This MSc will allow you to plan your own individual study pathway to meet your personal, professional, academic and service needs. Furthermore, the optional modules can be taken at a pace and frequency that suits your circumstances, taking into account issues such as your location and work-life balance. As such, a number of modules are available via distance learning.
The best way to undertake this programme is over a minimum of two years. This will enable you to continue working in clinical practice and use that practice to help you complete the assignments on the course. You will complete the programme by choosing from a selection of modules that are available in the department. Please note that although we have an October start, dependent upon your choice of modules, it may be that your first class dates for your first modules may have a January start. This will be discussed with you when you start on the programme and choose the modules you wish to undertake.
In order to complete the programme applicants must be working in mental health or mental health related caring services with direct access to service users. They must be working with mental health service users during the course of their studies. This is so that assessments on the programme can be completed. EU and International students will need to provide evidence in their application that they have arranged such access before their application can be processed.
Overall, the programme is designed so that, where possible, credits achieved through prior study are recognised as part of the award.
Please note: This course does not lead to registration as a mental health nurse or other mental health practitioner. Applicants wishing to undertake a professional nursing programme, please visit our Nursing pages.Course highlights
- The university is highly rated by our students for our student support, which particularly helps those with non-traditional qualifications reach their potential
- Your studies are supported by brand new state-of-the-art facilities, including a well-resourced library and access to a wide range of mental health-related e-books and journals
- We have established relationships with London's leading mental health trusts
- You will have the opportunity to network with a wide range of clinicians from a variety of backgrounds, both nationally and internationally
- As a student of this course you'll receive a free electronic textbook for every module.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Course Enquiries
- +44 (0)20 8411 5555