Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
A 2.1 Honours degree or international equivalent in biology, chemistry, or related discipline.
Months of entry
Our Biotechnology and Biodesign MRes provides a foundation into how design and engineering approaches are used in the creation of new biotechnological processes and products.
Advances in biotechnology, computing, and laboratory automation are being coupled with design thinking approaches to engineer biological systems that may produce more sustainable products than traditional manufacturing. Examples include:
- the production of synthetic meat substitutes
- dairy-free milk
- adaptive building materials
- petroleum-replacement products
- designer antimicrobial compounds
- smart drug delivery systems
Our Biotechnology and Biodesign MRes:
- provides a foundation in design thinking approaches
- covers recent developments in applied biotechnology
- provides an opportunity to develop and refine your laboratory skills
- provides the opportunity to develop your own research project
The training forms an excellent foundation for students opting to follow a research orientated career path and for those looking for successful careers in the biotechnology industry.
The course is interdisciplinary. You'll be suitable for this course if you are:
- a science graduate
- looking to develop your knowledge and research skills
You'll gain the skills allowing you to address critical global challenges in:
- food security
- the environment
Fees and funding
See Fees and Funding tab in the Programme information in our online Prospectus.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Academic Secretary
- +44 (0) 191 208 5498