Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applications are accepted all year round, but there are limited places to ensure high-quality training, so please apply early to avoid disappointment. Applicants must have a medical or nursing degree (2.1 or higher) and suitable professional experience.
Students from outside of the UK are very welcome and play a key role in developing a global community here at Queen Mary. For detailed country specific entry requirements please visit the International section of our website.
If English is not a student's first language, they will be required to meet the following standards in one of these English language examinations:
- Examination: Academic Level Required
- IELTS: 6.5 (including 6.0 in writing)
- TOEFL PBT: 575 (with a TWE of 4.0 or above)
- TOEFL iBT: 92 (with writing at 24 or above)
Full details of the English language requirements can be found on our website.
The Admissions Office contact details are on our website.
In order to complete the degree students must also have access to a computer with a microphone and webcam, a broadband internet connection and basic knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Months of entry
This new two year online MSc in Orthopaedic Trauma Science uses innovative methods of teaching and assessment for a fresh, dynamic and interactive approach to teaching orthopaedic trauma. It is designed to be readily accessible, irrespective of location or time zone, with the option of a 2-week residential summer school in London- one of the most, vibrant, dynamic and exciting cities in the world. It has a rich pedigree and is offered in collaboration between London's most established major trauma centre, the UK's lead centre for research into Complex Trauma Care and one of the oldest medical schools in the world.
Trauma is one of the world's leading killers and is responsible for a significant proportion of the global burden of disease. Improving survival and outcomes following traumatic injury has been identified as a key priority by the World Health Organization and orthopaedic injuries pose a major clinical challenge world-wide.
This two year online distance-learning course uses novel teaching and assessment techniques. It will provide a broad and critical understanding of the most up-to-date science and practice of trauma care, with a particular focus on orthopaedic and orthoplastic management. It combines an international expert faculty with technology-enhanced learning so that students can readily access knowledge from around the world at a time and place of their choosing. Interactive discussion forums and one to one tutor sessions help to engender an inclusive and supportive community, as well as facilitating a worldwide network of contacts with shared interests.
This is further developed by an optional 2-week residential summer school at the end of the first year in London. This incorporates simulated scenario training to complement the didactic learning and to provide practical knowledge and experience of decision-making and the safe, professional delivery of core clinical functions in the management of seriously injured patients. The second year of study entails a written dissertation on a specific area of knowledge or original research.
The largest growth area for jobs in orthopaedics has been in trauma over recent years. This course is tailored to meet the needs of international graduates from all healthcare and health sciences backgrounds including surgeons, anaesthetists, nurses, operating department staff, allied health professionals and those with a specialist interest in orthopaedic trauma education and training.
It is intended to provide high-quality learning, no matter where (or when!) you are in the world, in order to develop the future leaders in the science and practice of orthopaedic trauma.
What are the aims of this MSc?
- to produce graduates with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to provide safe and high quality medical care.
- to produce graduates with a broad and critical understanding of the science and practice of orthopaedic trauma care
- to guide graduates in developing the knowledge, technical skills, decision-making and professionalism to safely deliver a core set of clinical functions in the management of injured patients, consistent with their scope of practice.
- to produce graduates equipped to meet local, regional and national needs for managing orthopaedic trauma
- to prepare graduates for future careers in and around orthopaedic trauma
- to provide training in research skills and to encourage pursuit of independent study
- to widen access to higher education
- to ensure a supportive and inclusive learning environment
Information for international students
Please see here for more information.
Fees and funding
Please see here for more information.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time24 months
- Distance learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Blizard Institute
- +44 (0)20 7882 6532