You should have at least a good second class honours degree (2.2), or equivalent. This does not have to be in Economics, though it is preferable and some background in quantitative subjects is necessary. If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency - 6.5 IELTS or equivalent is required. International applicants Students from outside of the UK help form a global community here at Queen Mary. For detailed country specific entry requirements please visit the International section of our website. If your first language is not English, you must provide evidence of your English language proficiency. You can find details on our English language entry requirements here: www.qmul.ac.uk/international/languagerequirements If you do not meet language or scholarly requirements it might be possible for you to undertake a pre-masters or pre-sessional programme that will prepare you for the masters programme. For more information, please contact the Admissions Office. If you are unable to find the information you require, please contact the Admissions Office for assistance.
Months of entry
The MSc in Banking and Finance focuses on areas of finance and banking which have major practical and theoretical interest such as: investment analysis, commercial and investment banking, mergers and acquisitions, derivatives, finance microstructure and taxation. The degree is designed to equip you for a very wide range of careers in the finance and banking sectors and in multinational financial organisations.
This MSc degree course will develop your expertise in banking and finance to the highest level.
Unique features of the MSc in Banking and Finance degree are:
- It provides a thorough knowledge of the main components of commercial and investment banking and the changing structure of the international financial industry.
- Exam exemption from the CISI (Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment) Chartered Wealth Management Qualification.
- Exemption from CBI (The Chartered Banker Institute) Diploma modules.
- Suitable for students with some quantitative background in either finance and/or economics or from a degree with some quantitative elements.
- Five scholarships available worth £5,000.
As with all of our MSc programmes, MSc Banking and Finance offers:
- High quality teaching, confirmed by our outstanding NSS 2013 (National Student Survey) scores which rank us as number one nationally for overall student satisfaction in Finance at 98% and third- and top of the Russell Group for Economics, at 97%.
- Invaluable contributions from respected City practitioners and industry experts who also teach students, bringing practical insights in to the classroom by applying the theory to real world scenarios.
- A fully integrated careers programme, a dedicated careers consultant, and extensive industry links that aim to maximise your employment prospects.
- An unparalleled set of optional short courses designed to equip you with further practical training and key technical skills that are highly valued in the Financial Sector.
- High rate of employment of our students within six months of graduation.
- State-of-the-art facilities such as a virtual trading floor which provides exclusive access to the latest technology and financial software used in the banking and finance industry, and access to specialised financial and economic databases and software used by economists in finance or in government for data analysis and simulation.
- The opportunity to join QUMMIF – the only Investment Club of its kind, which allows students to trade real money (currently £30,000!) in order to obtain relevant, practical work experience in trading and portfolio analysis.
Information for international students
For detailed country specific entry requirements please visit the International section of our website: http://www.qmul.ac.uk/international/index.html
Fees and funding
There are five bursaries worth £5,000 each for Home, EU and Overseas Students
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Sarah Riley
- +44 (0)20 7882 8848