A 2:1 or above at undergraduate level in Biomedical Science or a related discipline.
Find out more about how to apply for our postgraduate taught courses.
Months of entry
This programme will:
- provide state-of-the-art practical training in modern molecular and cellular pharmacological techniques alongside their application to in vivo methods of pharmacological investigation of cardiac and vascular inflammatory disease mechanisms.
- offer the latest practical training in modern molecular and cellular pharmacological techniques
- deliver scientists adept in the crucial skill set needed for successful careers in UK Life Sciences, especially deeper phenotyping in cardiac and vascular inflammation research (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, atherosclerosis, pulmonary hypertension, hypertension, arrhythmia, nephrology or cancer).
- provide a springboard for those individuals wishing to a PhD in this field of research.
You will gain the expertise required to conduct cardiovascular biomedical research, and be able to contribute to the research culture and knowledge base in healthcare.
You will attend a series of lectures, tutorials and workshops in inflammation, disease and cancer, alongside practical sessions. These will give you a broad grounding in cardiac, vascular and inflammation mechanisms, and help you develop the necessary laboratory skills needed to conduct the project element of the programme.
You will learn specialised methods of investigation of cardiac and vascular inflammatory disease mechanisms and put them into practice at our world-leading Charterhouse Square site. You will be able to build confidence through your academic studies, and reinforce your learning by using renowned research techniques applicable to both further study and industry environments.
The William Harvey Research Institute (WHRI) places a high value upon training the next generation of researchers. We are part of Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry – one of the top 10 multi-faculty research institutions in the UK (REF 2014). Our primary research focus and excellence lies in our cardiovascular, inflammation and endocrine research themes. In addition, we achieve international excellence in critical care and perioperative medicine research. We aim to combine talents from different disciplines such as genomics, cell biology, and pharmacology, with translational bench-to-patient studies and large-scale clinical trials. We are currently the largest pharmacological research institute in the UK University sector, and one of the largest in Europe. The Centre employs 530 clinicians and scientists from 45 countries.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- William Harvey Research Institute