Applicants will normally have an undergraduate degree in an associated subject but other degrees or relevant experience may be considered.
Months of entry
The musical directing pathway is designed to support the development of skill base and the exploration of creative thought for the musician with a passion for theatre. Through specialised Conservatoire training specific attention will be paid to grounding your keyboard and conducting skills, to exploring scoring and arranging, keyboard programming and vocal technique, all with a view to building the depth of process needed in the varying environments relevant to musical theatre. As well as practical performance training, we’ll support you in the development of skills, knowledge, and contacts for your professional career as an imaginative and versatile artist.
You will collaborate with your peers on the BA and MA Musical Theatre (Performance) programmes, gaining valuable production and performance experience in a range of contexts and environments.
Full fee waiver applies for the Musical Directing pathway.
· Keyboard, conducting and rehearsal techniques, scoring and arranging, keyboard programming and vocal technique.
Students will be mentored through a series of projects including:
· New musical development
· Assistant Musical Director and mentorship through three fully produced BA MT shows including a book musical, a contemporary musical and an actor musician project
· Fully produced performance of a public concert in conjunction with the Conservatoire Big Band
· Musical theatre scene study and performance
· Public performance of solo cabaret
· Full season of work produced at the Edinburgh Festival Fringe; including a fully produced main stage musical theatre production (previous productions include Jerry Springer the Opera, Spring Awakening, Company and Avenue Q) and the performances of a brand new work developed through the course of the year (previous productions include the award winning Wasted Love, Freak Show, Forest Boy and Rocket Science)
Designed in discussion with a range of musical directors and musical theatre professionals throughout Britain and the US, this programme focuses on keyboard skills, conducting techniques, scoring and arranging and knowledge of the voice. The role of the Musical Theatre MD is constantly evolving, and we stay in touch with current trends through our industry secondments and professional contacs. In recent years our students have been mentored by Nick Finlow, Stephen Oremus and Robert Scott.
Information for international students
We welcome applications from international students. Auditions are held each year in USA and Canada as well as other selected locations. DVD auditions are welcomed from non UK students. Please see our website for further information on what to prepare or contact us directly.
Fees and funding
For a limited period there are full scholarships available for this programme. Contact Andrew Panton firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: +44 (0)141 270 8323 for details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- +44 (0)141 332 4101
- +44 (0)141 332 8901