Minimum upper second class (II.1) or above honours degree (or equivalent).
with special reference to the Middle East
Months of entry
SOAS MA in Gender Studies is unique in that it refocuses issues of Western Gender Studies on the complex specificities of Asia, Africa and the Middle East. Drawing on the expertise of staff across all SOAS faculties, it offers the specialised study of gender in relation to Asian, African and Middle Eastern cultures, together with rigorous training in and questioning of contemporary gender theory.
Students will have access to a wealth of study resources available in the SOAS Library and in nearby institutions such as the British Library, University College London Library and Senate House Library.
The MA in Gender Studies will be administered by the Faculty of Law and Social Sciences. Like the MA Area Studies programmes, it will not have a specific departmental home, reflecting its academic structure as an interdisciplinary degree.
The SOAS MA in Gender Studies will appeal to students with a variety of backgrounds and objectives:
- those coming from Women's Studies or Gender Studies who wish to engage more deeply with gender theory in relation to regional specialisation, especially, but not exclusively, the societies of Asia, Africa and the Middle East;
- those coming from Asian, African or Middle Eastern Studies who wish to incorporate the study of gender into their own areas of expertise; and
- those having previously trained in particular disciplines, such as Anthropology, Cultural and Media Studies, Religious Studies, Comparative Literature, History, Politics, etc.
By selection of courses to suit the academic needs of each student, this programme can provide:
- Specialised research training MA in Gender Studies, perhaps including a relevant language. This pathway is suitable for students contemplating advanced postgraduate research in Gender Studies with regard to regional specialisation.
- A broad MA programme for students with some background in Women's Studies, Gender Studies, and Area Studies etc. who wish to enhance their knowledge of gender in relation to cross-cultural issues, with or without language study.
- A special interest MA, which enables students to study in depth gender issues in relation to a particular regional or disciplinary specialisation.
Prospective students should contact the MA Admissions Tutor, Dr Awino Okech (email@example.com), at an early stage of their application in order to seek advice on the most appropriate options for study.
Please see link to pathway available under MA Gender Studies: MA Gender Studies (Middle East Pathway)
Phone: +44 (0)20 7898 4245
Information for international students
Information, including English language requirements, can be found here: https://www.soas.ac.uk/admissions/international/
Fees and funding
Please check https://www.soas.ac.uk/registry/funding/ for details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Office
- +44 (0)20 7898 4700