2018 ENTRY REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum upper second class honours degree (or equivalent)
Months of entry
Sophia University's Graduate Programme in Global Studies (GPGS) and the Department of Japan and Korea at SOAS University of London have launched a Dual Degree Program (DDP) which allows students to benefit from the combined resources of two of the world's leading institutions in Japanese Studies, located in two major global cities – Tokyo and London. Students making use of this possibility widen their intellectual horizons by taking classes at two of the world’s leading institutions in Japanese Studies. Supervision of student theses or graduation projects by prominent scholars at both institutions encourages multiple perspectives on Japanese Studies.
The Dual MA is based at Sophia University, as Japanese Master’s programmes are typically two years long, and SOAS contributes to it by offering its MA in Japanese Studies as an option for students originally enrolled at Sophia University. For SOAS students there is the opportunity to continue studying in Japan for a further year after first completing the MA in Japanese Studies at SOAS. Students proceeding to Sophia University can add any one degree within the GPGS at Sophia University, while students coming from Sophia must choose the MA Japanese Studies from SOAS.
Students will study one year at GPGS and one year at SOAS.Only upon successful completion of both the MA Japanese Studies at SOAS and the corresponding one-year element at Sophia will students receive two MA degrees, one from each institution.
For students considering enrolment through SOAS
Applications are made to the one-year MA Japanese Studies programme at SOAS. The continuation at Sophia is an optional add-on that has no impact on how the MA Japanese Studies is taught at SOAS and its normal rules and regulations apply. For students considering enrolment through SOAS, this is an opportunity to add one year of study at Sophia University, after they have completed the taught elements of their MA in Japanese Studies with SOAS. However, students should indicate interest in the possibility to continue to Sophia University upon the point of application. Only upon being accepted by Sophia University in a separate application procedure (please see below), can the students proceed to Japan. The fees for the MAs are to be paid separately to each institution.
- Prospective students should apply in the first instance for the MA programme at the institution where they intend to commence their studies. Applicants for the MA must fulfil the criteria for acceptance adopted by both institutions:
After having been accepted by one of the two institutions, applicants must make a formal application to the partner institution, indicating that they wish to be considered for the Dual Degree Programme. Please note that different deadlines apply for both institutions.
- For SOAS students applying for entrance into Sophia, the deadline will be in April (the application period is normally from 1-27 April). Students are permitted to apply during the spring break and before having completed the dissertation, but in order to qualify for the degree, the requirements for the completion of the MA Japanese Studies still need to be fulfilled by the appropriate SOAS deadlines
- The deadline for Sophia students applying to SOAS is 30 June, though the earlier the application is made, the easier it will be to facilitate acceptance and arranging a visa, accommodation etc.
Once students have met the requirements and been accepted onto the second half of the programme, the receiving institution will liaise with the student concerning visa issues, accommodation etc.
For UK students applying for student loans: This MA programme is not normally fully covered by UK postgraduate loans. Please check with the organisation granting your loan before applying.
Students entering the GPGS at Sophia University in April typically apply for admission to SOAS during their 1st semester, spend their 2nd and 3rd semesters at SOAS, and return to Sophia in their 4th semester to complete their GPGS requirements.
Students entering the GPGS at Sophia University in September typically apply for admission to SOAS in their 2nd semester, spend their 3rd and 4th semesters at SOAS, and return to Sophia in their 5th semester to complete the GPGS requirements.
Students entering SOAS can only do so in September.
Information for international students
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Office
- +44 (0)20 7898 4700