Please visit our website for further information on entry requirements.
Months of entry
The list of the staff of the Department provides information on the main areas of teaching and research, and supervision for research students can be provided across this wide range.
Some Recent Research Theses
- Izabella Czyzewska How to Pray to Hittite Gods: A Semantic andContextual Analysis of Hittite Prayer Terminology with the New Editions of Selected Prayers of Muršili II;
- Maria De Cillis The Discourse of Compromise: Theoretical Constructs of Free Will and Predestination in the Works of Avicenna, Ghazālī and Ibn ʿArabī;
- Jacob Eriksson Swedish mediation of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: a study of the utility of small-state mediation and Track II diplomacy;
- Benjamin Geer Priests of the Nation: Nationalism and Power in Modern Egyptian Literature and Cinema;
- Alyn D. Hine Russian Literature in the Works of Mikhail Nu'ayma;
- Christie Johnson Authorship in Kitab al-aghani: production, reception, subjectivit;
- Walid Khazendar Place in the Making: A Study on Image-Making in Early Arabic Poetry;
- Krikor Moskofian Literature and Survival: Literary Criticism and the Construction of Cultural Identity in Armenian Printed Press of Diaspora 1919-1928;
- Khadiga Musa A Critical Edition of a Twelve/Eighteenth Century Manuscript on Legal Maxims: ‘Umdat al-Nazir fi’l-Ashbāh wa’l-Naẓā`ir;
- Laetitia Nanquette The Eye Sees Not Itself: Images of France and Iran Through Their Literatures (1979-2009);
- Luis Siddall The reign of Adad-narari III;
- Ludek Vacín Shulgi of Ur: Life, Deeds, Ideology and Legacy of a Mesopotamian Ruler as Reflected Primarily in Literary Texts;
- Lisa Wilhelmi The Akkadian of Boğazköy;
Academic Staff and their Research Areas
Professor Muhammad A S Abdel Haleem BA (Cairo) PHD (Cantab) FCIL (London)
Qur’an, Hadith, Tafsir; Islam in society; classical and modern Arabic literature.
Dr George Dedes BA MA PhD (Harvard)
Early Anatolian Turkish; Ottoman language and literature; Ottoman history; Turkish-Greek relations; modern Turkish culture.
Dr Ayman El-Desouky BA (American Univ. Cairo) MA PhD (Austin, Texas)
Comparative literature, 19th and 20th-century Arabic literature, hermeneutics, modern philosophy and theory.
Professor Andrew R George BA PhD (Birmingham) FBA
Cuneiform and Ancient Mesopotamian studies.
Professor B George Hewitt MA PhD (Cantab) FBA
Caucasian languages (especially South and North West Caucasian) and linguistics; language work.
Dr Marlé Hammond BA MA PhD (Columbia University)
Classical and Modern Arabic Literature and Poetics; Egyptian and Arabic Cinemas; Women's Writing; Folkloric Narrative.
Professor Hugh Kennedy PhD (Cantab)
Medieval history of Arabic-speaking lands.
Dr Karima Laachir BA (Abdelmalek Essadi University, Tetouan Morocco) MA PhD (Leeds) PGCHE (Birmingham)
Comparative postcolonial literature (Arabophone, Francophone and Anglophone), Arabic popular culture, Diasporic cultural productions,literature of the North African diaspora (Beur), exclusion of ethnic minorities in Europe with a specific focus on France, postcolonialism and colonial legacies, Islam and Islamophobia.
Dr Chris Lucas BA (SOAS) MA PhD (Cantab)
Grammatical change and the interface between syntax, semantics and pragmatics in Arabic and other Afro-Asiatic languages, and in English and other (Indo-)European languages.
Dr Nima Mina BA (Marburg) MMus PhD (Montreal)
Classical and Modern Persian literature, Orientalism in 18th-20thcentury Europe, Middle Eastern minority writers in Europe, Diaspora studies, music performance, translation studies.
Dr Wen-Chin Ouyang BA BEd (Tripoli) MA MPhil PhD (Columbia University)
Classical and modern Arabic literature, The 1001 Nights and Arabic Popular Epics, Classical and modern Arabic Critical thought and theory, Networks of Circulation and World Literature, Semiotics of the Visual.
Dr Mustafa Shah BA PhD (London)
The early Arabic linguistic tradition; classical Islamic theology and jurisprudence.
Dr Ayman Shihadeh BA (London) MSt (Oxon) DPhil (Oxon)
Arabic philosophy; Islamic theology; ethical theory in Islam; Arabic paleography and codicology.
Dr Stefan Sperl BA (Oxon) PhD (London)
Classical Arabic literature, medieval Arabic popular literature; court poetry and oral literature; refugee studies.
Dr Yair Wallach BSc MA PhD (University of London)
Culture, Society and History of modern Israel/Palestine; Visual and Material Culture; Urban Studies; Israel-Palestine Conflict.
Dr Mark Weeden
Hittite, Akkadian language and literature in Syria.
Dr Katherine P Zebiri BA PhD (London)
Arabic language and literature; modern Islamic studies.
Information for international students
Information, including English Language requirements, can be found on our website.
Fees and funding
Please visit our website for further information on funding your studies.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Student Recruitment Office
- +44 (0)20 7898 4700