- PGCE applicants are expected to have a good degree in (2:2 or above) a related subject.
- Your degree must normally have a significant proportion of the subject you wish to teach, (but we will consider applicants willing to undertake subject knowledge enhancement courses).
- GCSEs in English Language and Mathematics at grade C or above or equivalent. GCSE equivalents are offered by St Mary's University.
- An appropriate reference (from an academic tutor or line manager) supporting your suitability for teaching.
- We recommend at least two days of appropriate school observation is essential before application for most subjects; this should be in an English State School other than where attended or employed.
- Pass both professional skills tests.
- Satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check.
- Physical and mental fitness to teach.
- English- Geography- History- Mathematics- Modern Foreign Languages (MFL)- Physical Education (PE)- Religious Education (RE)- Science
Months of entry
Our experienced science tutors work in close partnership with trainees and the placement schools. We offer an extensive range of government funded subject knowledge enhancement courses that will enable applicants to develop their specialism further or ‘top up’ existing knowledge in preparation for the PGCE course.
If you wish to study for the Catholic Certificate of Religious Studies you will be able to complete several of the modules during your PGCE year. This certificate is often a requirement for teaching in a Catholic school.
You are prepared for teaching in partnership with schools that are formally linked to St Mary's, providing an excellent framework to develop teaching skills.
During your studies you'll be allocated two school placements during the 36-week course. In total, 24 weeks is spent in school to ensure close links between theory and practice throughout.
Our partnership schools offer a rich and diverse training programme for our trainees. We work with partner schools throughout the London area. During your placements, you will be guided from working with small groups of pupils alongside a subject teacher towards taking responsibility for whole classes.
PGCE Secondary UCAS Codes:
- Science with Biology: C1X1
- Science with Chemistry: F1X1
- Science with Physics: F3X1
- Mathematics: G1X1
- Religious Education: V6X1
- Modern Foreign Languages: R9X1
- Geography: F8X1
- Physical Education: C6XC
- English: School Direct only
- History: School Direct only
Information for international students
Fees and funding
For information about fees - along with information about financing your studies - please check the Fees & Funding section of our website.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Clive Woolger
- 020 8240 4154