We normally look for a UK bachelor degree with first or upper second class honours, or the overseas equivalent, in any discipline. When assessing your academic record, we take into account your grade average, position in class, references and the standing of the institution where you studied your qualification.
Months of entry
The MSc Business Analysis and Strategic Management course focuses on international business issues and how to solve them. Put your learning into practice and gain work experience with our client-facing project.
You explore how multinational enterprises operate and carry out comparative business analysis, gaining the practical consultancy skills necessary to work efficiently in an international business environment.
Alongside a thorough understanding of business analysis and development, you graduate with the key skills for international business consulting, such as outlining international business problems, writing business reports and preparing for interviews.
A key element of the course is the client-facing project with an external organisation. Arranged by your project co-ordinator, you apply your learning to a real business issue, giving you valuable work experience and generating excellent networking opportunities.
Visit www.mbs.ac.uk/masters/courses for more details.
Recent recruiters include: Accenture, AgustaWestland, Barclays Technology Centre, Deloitte, Hewlett-Packard, HSBC, IBM, The Nielson Company, Shell, Standard Chartered Bank, Whyte & McKay (China)
Course structure (All taught units are 15 credits)
- Analysing Companies: Business Models, Narrative and Numbers
- Building Strategic Capabilities in Different Business Systems
- Business Models: Theory and Practice
- Organisational Design and Strategy: International Contexts
- Strategic Management of the Multinational Firm Across Divergent Institutional Systems
Three elective units from*:
- Asian Management Systems
- Business Environment and Strategy in China
- Digital Technologies, Development and Emerging Markets
- Global Business Strategy
- Global Politics and Global Business
- International Human Resource Management
- Technology, Innovation Management and Business Strategy
- The Analysis of Business Structures
- The Management of International Organisational Change
*By agreement with the course director, one elective unit may be taken from another Masters course. All elective units are subject to availability and timetabling constraints.
Client-facing project with an external organisation/dissertation [60 credits]:
The client-facing project gives you the opportunity to apply what you have learned in the taught part of the course and the outcome is presented as a research report/dissertation. This ‘experiential learning’ enhances and improves your skills and overall employability.
MBS’ Postgraduate Careers Service provides specialist support for you in applying for projects and with interview preparation. Projects start at the beginning of June and may be carried out individually or as a group.
The project is offered if you gain a minimum of 50% in each first semester course unit. If not, you will be offered a project related to an external client, with no direct contact with the client. For those working on group projects, a group report and an individual report will be produced (both 6,000 words).
Alternatively, you may undertake an academic dissertation of 12,000 words.
Recent projects include:
- Exploring the strategic expansion of the volunteer tourism industry into the academic market
- An in-depth analysis of the wholesale market and changing trends towards online shopping
- Strategic positioning in relation to the offshore wind turbine market in northern Europe
- Identification of venture capitalist acquisition targets in the UK software industry
Project clients have included:
ASDA, AstraZeneca, BAE Systems, BASF, British Red Cross, Colt, Co-operative Financial Services, Deloitte, Greater Manchester Chamber of Commerce, ICI, Inventya, Kelloggs, Mojo Life, Tax Assist.
Information for international students
IELTS 7.0 or TOEFL 100 internet-based. English language test results submitted must be less than two years old. See the website for more information.
Fees and funding
Alliance MBS Scholarships are also available - contact the Admissions Office for details and visit the Alliance MBS website for further details.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Alliance Manchester Business School
- +44 (0) 161 306 1339