You should have a Bachelors degree with a minimum classification of Second Class Honours, Upper Division (2:1) or its international equivalent. We welcome applicants from a range of degree backgrounds, especially Geography and Environmental Sciences. Graduates in biological sciences, mathematics, engineering, or a cognate discipline are also welcome. You may need to take additional study on your own if you do not understand basic knowledge presupposed in some of the taught units.
Please submit the following documents with your application:
- Copies of official degree certificates and transcripts of your previous study, showing the subjects taken and grades obtained. If these documents are in languages other than English please provide official translations.
- Two written references, signed by the referee and on official headed paper.
- A personal statement detailing why you wish to study the course, your experiences, what you can bring to the course and any other information that you see as relevant to your application
- Your CV
- Copies of English Language Certification, e.g. IELTS, TOEFL or Pearson test score report.
Months of entry
MSc Geographical Information Science focuses on the multi-disciplinary science concerned with the development and application of geographical information science technologies, preparing you for a range of specialist careers.
Geographical information technologies are increasingly used in everyday life, such as Google Earth and geosocial networking. Core geographical information science technologies, including geographical information systems (GIS) and remote sensing, have had a long history of application in government and private sector environmental agencies, planning, agriculture, forestry, utilities and transportation.
This course will enable you to develop fundamental skills and in-depth knowledge of key application areas. You can choose to undertake an applied study unit, which gives a range of work experience skills and can lead to dissertation opportunities working with key local and national employers.
We offer research-led teaching and a range of extra-curricular activities designed to deepen and enhance your learning experience. These include access to additional training resources, educational visits, career talks and alumni presentations.
You will gain experience using commercial and open source software and acquire skills in the development of spatial software for both desktop and online platforms. What's more, during 2017 we will host the 25 th Geographical Information Science Research UK (GISRUK) conference; the largest national GIS research conference.
Information for international students
Applicants whose first language is not English should meet the following language requirements:
- IELTS 6.5 overall, 6.5 in writing, no sub-section below 6.0
- TOEFL iBT overall score of 90 with a minimum score of 22 in writing and 20 in the other subsections
- Pearson PTE overall score of 59 with a minimum score of 59 in the written section and 55 in all other subsections
- Cambridge Certificate of Advanced English (CAE) or Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) overall score of 176 or above, with 176 in writing and no sub-section below 169 - OR - Grade C if taken before January 2015
Some English language test results are only valid for two years. Your English language test report must be valid on the start date of your course.
Fees and funding
The School of Environment, Education and Development is offering a number of scholarships for 2018 entry. For further information please click here .
The Manchester Alumni Scholarship Scheme offers a £3,000 reduction in tuition fees to University of Manchester alumni who achieved a 1st and are progressing to a postgraduate taught masters course for September 2018 entry (terms and conditions apply - please contact us for further information).
See also the University's postgraduate funding database for more funding opportunities.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- +44 (0) 161 275 0969