- Minimum 2:2 honours degree. If you are not a native or bilingual Spanish speaker, approximately 50% or more of your degree content should have focused on Spanish.
- A strong academic record at A-level (or equivalent), including French, German or Spanish.
- Intermediate level in a second language (French, German, Italian or Arabic). Your ability will be tested at the interview stage. For applicants without a second language, a Subject Knowledge Enhancement course will be offered, available at various institutions, and will be part of the offer conditions.
- Minimum grade C or 4 at GCSE (or equivalent) in English language and Mathematics.
Months of entry
Compared with Core PGCE teacher trainees, you will benefit from additional time in school before the PGCE starts and follow a modified version of the course.
Throughout, you will focus on the 11 to 16, 11 to 18, or 14 to 19 age ranges to gain Qualified Teacher Status (QTS), learning to teach the National Curriculum and related national strategies surrounding GCSE, AS and A2-level study.
The majority of the course focuses upon practical training in teaching and learning-related skills. You will enjoy extended periods of school experience, which will provide opportunities to work in a primary setting and to teach in at least two different secondary schools. In total, 25 weeks of your PGCE will be spent experiencing and working in different types of school.
This practical training is underpinned by the development of your knowledge and understanding of educational theories, ideas and concepts, including current issues and developments.
We work with numerous schools in Greater Manchester to offer the School Direct route into teaching.
School Direct allows schools to recruit and select their own trainees, with the expectation that they will go on to work within the school, or group of schools, in which they were trained (although there is no guarantee of employment).
School Direct closely follows the PGCE course structure but on a modified timetable including increased contact with the School Direct school. Trainees who complete their course will be recommended for the qualification of PGCE School Direct and recommended for qualified teacher status (QTS).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- School of Environment, Education and Development
- 0161 543 4710