We require applicants to hold, or be about to obtain, an Upper Second class Honours degree (or overseas equivalent) in a related subject area for entry to a PhD programme. A Lower Second class Honours degree may be considered if applicants also hold a Master's degree with a Merit classification.
Months of entry
January, September, April
Our PhD/MPhil Drug Design, Development and Delivery programme enables you to undertake a research project that will improve understanding of Drug Design, Development and Delivery.
Research and postgraduate study in the area of drug design, development and delivery can focus on the design of novel therapeutic drugs and new delivery approaches.
Multidisciplinary research areas include the following.
- Molecular modeling and medicinal chemistry-based design, synthesis, evaluation and delivery of novel anti-microbial, anti-malarial, anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory compounds.
- Design of new formulations to improve drug stability (stroke treatment), development of lipid-based nanocarriers and new excipients to improve drug delivery (tuberculosis treatment) and penetration of anti-amyloid drugs across the blood-brain barrier.
- Modification of the behaviour of large bioactive molecules (eg peptides, proteins and plasmids) and analysis of delivery by image correlation spectroscopy.
- We also study the ability of targeted liposomes to selectively deliver agents to the placenta and are using an in silico approach to optimise placental homing peptide function.
- Design and synthesis of novel graphene-based drug delivery systems.
Information for international students
For applicants whose first language is not English, or for those who have not recently studied in the United Kingdom, you must supply an official IELTS or TOEFL transcript to support your application, or provide a date on which you will be taking a test. Please note IELTS and TOEFL are only valid for two years.
We require a minimum IELTS score of 6.5 overall or TOEFL iBT 90. For the writing component, we expect that you have achieved a minimum of 6.0 (IELTS) or 21-23 (iBT). For each of the other components of the English test you should meet the minimum requirement of IELTS 5.5, TOEFL iBT 18.
For more information about English language tests see English language requirements.
We accept a range of qualifications from different countries. For these and general requirements, including English language, see entry requirements from your country .
Fees and funding
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health
- +44 (0)161 275 5608