About E3 - Engineering, Environment and Emerging Technologies
Trinity College Dublin, renowned for its historical significance, is also celebrated for its commitment to academic excellence and innovation in the fields of Computer Science & Statistics, Engineering, and Natural Sciences. The three distinct schools within the university - the School of Computer Science & Statistics, the School of Engineering, and the School of Natural Sciences - have played pivotal roles in shaping the academic landscape of Ireland and beyond.
“Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending”.MARY ROBINSON, Former President of Ireland, United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights and Trinity Alumna
School of Computer Science & Statistics
The School of Computer Science & Statistics at Trinity College Dublin stands at the forefront of cutting-edge research and education in computer science and statistics. It is a hub of innovation and academic rigor, offering a diverse range of programmes that prepare students for the dynamic and ever-evolving technology industry.
- Academic Excellence: Trinity's School of Computer Science & Statistics offers a comprehensive array of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, catering to students at all levels of expertise. From the fundamentals of computer science to advanced artificial intelligence and machine learning, the school provides a solid foundation for the technology leaders of tomorrow.
- Research and Innovation: The school is dedicated to pushing the boundaries of computer science and statistics. It houses pioneering research centres, such as the ADAPT Centre for Digital Content Technology and the Future Cities Research Centre, where faculty and students collaborate on projects that tackle real-world challenges. The school's commitment to innovation has resulted in significant contributions to areas like natural language processing, data analytics, and network security.
- Global Impact: Trinity's School of Computer Science & Statistics has a global reach, with strong ties to industry leaders and institutions around the world. Its graduates and faculty have made substantial contributions to the technology sector, shaping the future of artificial intelligence, data science, and software engineering.
- Student Life: The vibrant and diverse student community within the School of Computer Science & Statistics fosters a culture of collaboration, creativity, and entrepreneurship. Numerous student societies and clubs cater to a wide range of interests, from hackathons and coding competitions to data science and machine learning meetups.
- Diversity and Inclusivity: The school is committed to promoting diversity and inclusivity in the technology sector. It actively seeks to balance gender disparities and support underrepresented groups, creating an inclusive environment that reflects the ever-changing tech industry.
School of Engineering
Trinity's School of Engineering is a powerhouse of innovation, bridging the gap between theory and practice. With a strong emphasis on experiential learning and interdisciplinary research, the School of Engineering prepares students to tackle complex engineering challenges and contribute to global technological advancements.
- Academic Excellence: The School of Engineering offers a wide range of undergraduate and postgraduate programmes, encompassing disciplines such as civil, mechanical, electrical, and electronic engineering. Its rigorous curriculum, coupled with hands-on experiences, equips graduates with the skills necessary to excel in a rapidly evolving field.
- Research and Innovation: Innovation is at the heart of the School of Engineering. From pioneering sustainable energy solutions to designing intelligent transportation systems, faculty and students are at the forefront of engineering research. The school's researchers have made significant contributions to areas like renewable energy, robotics, and environmental engineering.
- Industry Partnerships: The school maintains strong ties with industry partners, facilitating internships, co-op programmes, and collaborative research projects. These connections ensure that graduates are well-prepared for the demands of the engineering workforce and contribute to the development of innovative solutions in partnership with the industry.
- Global Engagement: The School of Engineering emphasises a global perspective in engineering education. It encourages international collaboration, allowing students to gain exposure to diverse engineering practices and cultural experiences. Trinity's engineering graduates have made their mark in various countries, contributing to global infrastructure, technology, and sustainable development.
- Student Life: The School of Engineering encourages active involvement in extracurricular activities and engineering-related clubs and societies. These opportunities not only enhance students' technical skills but also promote teamwork and leadership abilities.
- Sustainability and Ethics: Trinity's School of Engineering is dedicated to producing engineers who are mindful of environmental sustainability and ethical responsibilities. In a world increasingly focused on sustainability, the school's graduates are equipped to address pressing global issues, such as climate change and resource management
School of Natural Sciences
The School of Natural Sciences at Trinity College Dublin is dedicated to the exploration and understanding of the natural world. Comprising various disciplines such as Botany, Geography, Geology and Zoology, the school provides a comprehensive education in the natural sciences, fostering curiosity and scientific inquiry.
Academic Excellence: The School of Natural Sciences offers a diverse range of programmes in environmental science, smart & sustainable cities, biodiversity and conservation, and development practice, the school provides a solid foundation for pursuing careers in research, industry or education.
- Research and Discovery: The school has a rich tradition of research excellence, with faculty and students contributing to scientific breakthroughs across multiple disciplines. From unravelling the mysteries of genetics to exploring the cosmos, Trinity's scientists are at the forefront of discovery.
- International Collaborations: The School of Natural Sciences collaborates with institutions worldwide on research projects and academic exchanges. These partnerships create opportunities for students to work with leading scientists from diverse backgrounds and to engage in research on a global scale.
- Student Life: The school encourages students to participate in scientific societies, clubs, and outreach programs. These activities allow students to apply their scientific knowledge in practical and meaningful ways, from community engagement to ecological conservation efforts.
- Environmental Stewardship: Trinity's School of Natural Sciences is committed to environmental stewardship and the sustainable use of natural resources. Graduates are equipped with the knowledge and skills to address pressing environmental challenges, from climate change to biodiversity conservation
Worldwide reputation: university and staff (including any ranking information)
- Trinity College Dublin is Ireland's No.1 University - QS World University Ranking 2023; Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2022
- Trinity is ranked 81 in the World by the QS World University Ranking 2024
- Trinity is ranked 161 in the World by the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2023
- Trinity is ranked 57 in the world in the THE University Impact Rankings 2021
- Trinity is ranked 43 in the world for international outlook - Times Higher Education 2022
- 91 in the QS Graduate Employability Ranking 2022
- Trinity is ranked 1 in Europe and in the Top 50 in the World for producing entrepreneurs for the seventh year in a row (PitchBook Universities Report 2021)
Trinity is also ranked in the top 100 Universities in the world in the following subject areas
- Classics & Ancient History
- Modern Languages
- Performing Arts
- Theology, Divinity & Religious Studies
- Computer Science & Information Systems
- Biological Sciences
- • Geography
- Materials Science
- Accounting & Finance
- Politics & International Studies
PG subjects available:
The School of Computer Science & Statistics
MSc in Computer Science - Data Science (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip)
MSc in Computer Science - Intelligent Systems (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip)
MSc in Computer Science - Future Networked Systems (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip)
MSc in Computer Science - Augmented and Virtual Reality (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip)
MSc in Interactive Digital Media (M.Sc.)
MSc in Statistics and Sustainability (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Statistics and Data Science (Online) P.Grad.Cert.P. Grad. Diploma & MSc
The School of Engineering
MSc in Biomedical Engineering (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Computational Engineering (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip./P.Grad.Cert)
MSc in Electronic Information Engineering (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip / P.Grad.Cert.)
MSc in Engineering (Environmental / Structural and Geotechnical / Transport/ Sustainable Energy)
MSc in Mechanical Engineering (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip/Cert.)
MPhil in Music and Media Technologies (M.Phil.)
MSc in Zero-Carbon Technology
The School of Natural Science
MSc in Biodiversity and Conservation (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Development Practice (M.Sc./P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Energy Science (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip)
MSc in Environmental History (M.Phil. / P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Environmental Sciences (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
MSc in Smart and Sustainable Cities (M.Sc. / P.Grad.Dip.)
- Social media accounts