For the MA in TESOL you should normally hold a second class honours degree from a University of the United Kingdom or the Republic of Ireland, or from an institution of another country which is recognised as being of an equivalent standard; and evidence of competence in written and spoken English (GCSE grade C or equivalent). Applicants who do not have English as their first language are required to have IELTS 6.0 or equivalent.
Months of entry
An MA programme which includes Teaching Practice and Theory.
The MA in TESOL is the only Master's level TESOL programme in the United Kingdom which offers an ERASMUS funded overseas teaching practice placement. Students spend eight weeks in Hungary teaching in state primary or secondary schools and are supervised by University of Ulster staff. Part-time students spend four weeks in Hungary in year 1 and four weeks in Northern Ireland in year 2.
The programme offers an exciting opportunity to teach English as a second language. It will be of interest to those who have no teaching experience and also to those who wish to update their classroom skills. The course takes place on the Coleraine campus and aims at excellence in practical teaching as well as preparing students to proceed successfully to the Master’s degree by dissertation.
The placement is funded by ERASMUS.
- There is a systematic programme of Microteaching to help you develop pedagogical skills.
- The module on Research Methods prepares you to undertake the research for the dissertation.
- Full-time students can complete the MA in one calendar year.
- Peer support among students on this programme is normally very strong and has been the subject of positive comments by the External Examiners.
- The course in Hungarian language, culture and education given by the visiting Hungarian Teaching Fellow prepares you for life in Gyor, Hungary.
Information for international students
The minimum English language requirement for this course is Academic IELTS 6.0 with no band score less than 5.5. Trinity ISE: Pass at level III also meets this requirement for Tier 4 visa purposes. Ulster recognises a number of other English language tests and comparable IELTS equivalent scores.
Qualification and course duration
Course contact details
- Dr Barbara Skinner
- +44 (0) 28 7012 4662