Applicants will normally be graduates and/or have significant experience working in counselling or a counselling related field. They must have previous experience of counselling training at certificate level. The programme is practice based and participants will be expected to arrange to undertake supervised counselling practice in their workplace setting or other appropriate agency. Prospective applicants should submit a completed application form and will be required to take part in a group and individual interview process prior to joining the programme.
Months of entry
The Postgraduate Diploma programme is equivalent to a professional training in Person-Centred counselling and is validated by Cosca.
The overall aim of the programme is to offer a sufficiently safe, supportive yet challenging learning environment that will enable participants to develop and demonstrate those personal qualities and professional skills deemed necessary for competent and reflective practitioners. Self awareness, counselling theory, practice and research will be integrated to a level that will enable course members to engage with therapeutic process in a range of counselling relationships.
Trainee counsellors will acquire the ability to:
- develop a sound knowledge of the philosophies, theories, research and practice concerning person centred counselling;
- communicate a high level of awareness of and competence in counselling skills;
- demonstrate an understanding of therapeutic process;
- raise awareness of professional developmental needs and of the importance of the full use of counselling supervision, in individual and group settings;
- evaluate the importance of personal development in relation to training as a counsellor;
- consider the effect of personal experience and values and attitudes on counsellor functioning;
- gain critical understanding of the place counselling occupies in the field of counselling and the role counselling plays in society as a whole;
- place individual counselling practice within a sound ethical framework as outlined in the BACP Ethical Framework for Good Practice in Counselling and Psychotherapy and the COSCA Statement of Ethics and Code of Practice.
Find out more about courses
Fees and funding
- More information about tuition fees and payment plans.
- University of Aberdeen Funding Database
- Alumni discount for postgraduate degrees (20%)
Qualification and course duration
|Assessment||What kind of work will I be doing? (proportionally)|
|Written/ formal examinations||50|
|Written coursework / continuous assessment||30|
Course contact details
- School of Education
- +44 (0)1224 274776
- +44 (0)1224 274945