In order to be considered, applicants will have or should be expecting to achieve an Honours degree (2:1 or higher) from a UK university (or overseas equivalent) in Economics or a related discipline. Applicants must have achieved a mark equivalent to a 2:1 at undergraduate level in Microeconomics, Macroeconomics and Econometrics or Statistics modules.
Applicants who demonstrate being able to exceed the minimum entry requirements will be given preference.
Months of entry
In today's dynamic financial landscape, characterised by global and interconnected markets, our MSc in Financial Economics stands as the ideal stepping stone for ambitious students seeking to embark on rewarding and successful careers across various sectors of the finance industry. Designed to provide students with a profound understanding of economic principles, financial markets, and essential quantitative tools and methods, our MSc Financial Economics programme will thoroughly prepare you to navigate and excel in the complex yet highly rewarding world of finance.
Your employability options are vast and varied, our strong links with industry mean that rigorous undergraduate academic study is combined with a real practical focus, leading to excellent job opportunities.
By studying this programme, you can expect to develop a specialist financial economics career within the private sector, and global financial institutions. This includes employers in:
- Investment and commercial banks
- Financial asset management companies
- Financial technology firms
- Consulting firms
- Policy-oriented organizations
Who is this course for
The MSc Financial Economics programme is tailored for motivated and driven individuals who are passionate about the finance industry. We seek students who have a strong interest in understanding economic principles, analysing financial markets, and using quantitative tools to make informed decisions. Whether you are a recent graduate with a background in economics, finance, or a related field, or a mid-career professional aiming to elevate your financial expertise, this programme is designed to meet your needs. We welcome students who are eager to excel, contribute to the finance world, and pursue rewarding and successful careers in various sectors of the industry.
Why study this course at Birmingham
- Learn from expert academics to acquire comprehensive knowledge and essential skills in key financial and economic topics, setting you on a path to a successful career.
- Gain a significant competitive edge by developing advanced quantitative methods and analytical skills enabling you to take on a diverse range of challenges in empirical financial market and institution analysis.
- Conduct an innovative and practical research project during the summer term, fostering valuable and transferable skills that will significantly boost your career prospects.
- Located in the UK’s second city, the University of Birmingham is globally ranked and a proud member of the prestigious Russell Group. With a vibrant young population and a dynamic forward-looking financial sector, Birmingham and the West Midlands offer unparalleled opportunities for immersive learning and networking in both national and European financial markets.
- Birmingham Business School belongs to the elite tier of global business schools holding the prestigious Triple-Crown accreditation from leading bodies AMBA, EQUIS and AACSB. This distinction ensures the highest standards in education and research excellence.
Information for international students
- IELTS 6.5 with no less than 6.0 in any band
- TOEFL: 88 overall with no less than 21 in Reading, 20 in Listening, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing
- Pearson Test of English (PTE) including online: PTE Academic 67 with no less than 64 in all four skills
- Cambridge English (exams taken from 2015): Advanced – minimum overall score of 176, with no less than 169 in any component
If you are currently studying at a Chinese university, please view our specific entry requirements including our list of acceptable universities for further study at Birmingham.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Postgraduate Enquiry Service
- 0121 414 5005