2:1 Honours degree in a relevant subject
Months of entry
Our Translation Studies MA is designed for people who would like to start a career as professional translators, for translators who would like to further develop their skills, or for anyone who is interested in translation and cross-cultural communication as an area of research. Translation practice is at the heart of the programme and you will undertake extensive practical and specialised translation in Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese or Russian. The programme offers training in state-of-the-art translation technology and the opportunity to study another foreign language at beginners, intermediate or advanced level. There is a wide range of optional modules focusing on theory and methodology, meaning that this MA also provides excellent preparation for further study at PhD level.
The programme is available to students who are proficient in English and one of the following languages: Arabic, Catalan, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese or Russian.
The core programme content offers ample opportunity for translation practice. You will study four core modules [full descriptions available below]:
- Introduction to Translation
- Practical Translation (language combinations as above)
- Specialised Translation (language combinations as above)
- Research Methods
You will also complete a Translation Studies dissertation (15,000 words) or an Extended Translation Project.
You will also choose three modules from a range of options.
In addition, there are two non-assessed components in the programme:
- All students will take a short course – Introduction to the Bank of English – which introduces you to the 400 million-word Cobuild Bank of English corpus, an invaluable collection of authentic language data against which theory, intuition and pedagogic materials can be measured
- You may also take a course in Academic Writing. Those whose first language is not English are particularly encouraged to follow this course.
Explore postgraduate study at Birmingham at one of our on-campus open days.
If you can’t make it to one of our on-campus open days, our virtual open days run regularly throughout the year.
Information for international students
International students can find details of scholarships here
Fees and funding
Please visit our website
Qualification and course duration
Further details of qualification
The MA in Translation Studies is designed for practising translators, linguists, and anyone interested in translation as an area of study.
Course contact details
- Postgraduate enquiry service
- 0121 414 5005