Our requirements for postgraduate research are dependent on the type of programme you are applying for:
- For MA by Research programmes, entry to our programmes usually requires a good (normally a 2:1 or above) Honours degree in Music or a related subject, or an equivalent qualification if you were educated outside the UK.
- If you are applying for a PhD then you will usually also need to hold a good Masters qualification in Music or a related subject.
Any academic and professional qualifications or relevant professional experience you may have are normally taken into account, and in some cases, form an integral part of the entrance requirements.
If you are applying for distance learning research programmes, you will also be required to demonstrate that you have the time, commitment, facilities and experience to study by distance learning.
Months of entry
The Music Department offers promising candidates the opportunity to carry out research in one of the most dynamic institutions in Britain, with access to outstanding facilities.
Our research expertise covers:
- British music since 1850
- Critical theory
- Electronic music
- Emotion and Affect in Music
- Experimental Music and modernism
- Gender and Sexuality
- Italian opera and vocal music
- Music analysis
- Music cognition and psychology
- Music and nationalism
- Popular music
- Sound studies
- Western music history
Qualification and course duration
MA by research
Course contact details
- Dr Luis-Manuel Garcia
- +44 (0)121 414 6041