2:1 Honours degree in Mathematics or a programme with advanced mathematical components.
Students from JBJI who obtain a minimum 2:1 and the IELTS English (mandatory to obtain the Degree) will have automatic acceptance onto this programme.
Months of entry
This programme, offered by the School of Mathematics, provides the skills that will enable technically able graduates (including in mathematics, science and engineering) to apply their quantitative training to financial analysis.
Mathematical Finance is a multidisciplinary field that involves the application of economic theory, mathematics, statistics and computer programming skills, to analyse and manage financial opportunities. Our MSc in Mathematical Finance develops your understanding of contemporary mathematical models and their application in the financial sector, whilst providing the flexibility to tailor your degree with optional modules in areas that interest you.
You will take core modules in mathematical finance and stochastic processes, and then choose from topics offered by the School of Mathematics, the Department of Economics, and the School of Computer Science. This programme will support you to achieve the highest levels in mathematical finance, developing the most advanced computational and programming techniques. With the skills and knowledge developed on this course you will be well-placed to advance quickly in a field where there is a growing global shortage of highly qualified people.
Why study Mathematical Finance MSc at Birmingham?
- Develop your ability to apply mathematical and scientific knowledge to financial analysis, identifying, critically analysing and evaluating scenarios within the sector
- Learn to use software packages to analyse financial data and to implement numerical models
- Tailor your degree by choosing from optional modules in a range of areas
- Train specifically in independent study and research, which is an essential skill for a quantitative analyst
- Learn at an internationally-recognised university ranked in the top 100 in the 2021 QS World University Rankings
- Benefit from our strong links with industry and Careers Network support, meaning that rigorous academic study is combined with a real practical focus, leading to excellent job opportunities
- Join a university that is number 2 in the United Kingdom for being most frequently targeted by the country’s top employers (High Fliers Research 2020).
Information for international students
Standard English language requirements apply (IELTS 6.0 with no less than 5.5 in any band).
Fees and funding
Funding opportunities are available.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Admissions Team