You must be employed as a teacher in an independent or state-maintained primary school and be teaching the core subjects for a minimum of 50% of a full timetable. General primary trainees must be teaching the three core subjects across two consecutive age ranges, and for the Subject Specific course trainees’ teaching time should be split 50:50 between the core subjects and their chosen specific subject.
You will be expected to have the following qualifications:
- A degree from a UK University or equivalent.
- GCSE in English Language, Maths and Science at grade C or above or equivalent.
In addition you must:
- Pass Skills Tests prior to interview.
- Provide a reference from your headteacher supporting your application to undertake a PGCE.
- Obtain the commitment from your school to release you for the second school placement and to provide a suitable mentor.
- Provide a satisfactory criminal records check and show the physical and mental fitness to teach.
Months of entry
The QTS Conversion Course is available to teachers who are currently employed in maintained or independent schools in England, and who have already completed the University of Buckingham’s Independent PGCE. This course is the accreditation that enables teachers to teach in state-maintained and special schools in England and Wales.
The Primary QTS Conversion Course is available via two routes – General Primary or Subject Specific Primary (available in Physical Education / Sport, MFL and Music). It is a 37-week school-based course during which time you will work under the guidance of a mentor and receive weekly tutorials to review progress and set targets. You will be assigned a University tutor who will visit twice during the course of the year to assess your progress against the Standards and guide your development.
You are expected to undertake a teaching placement in a second school which must be a non-selective state maintained primary school. The duration of this teaching placement is determined upon interview, but is likely to be for three weeks.
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Nikki Mugford
- +44 (0)1280 820219