Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours degree.
Months of entry
The MPhil in African Studies offers a taught course with a substantial research component and provides an excellent foundation for students wanting to develop their knowledge of Africa. It is designed for students who wish to enhance their historical and contemporary understanding of Africa’s societies, politics, economics, and cultures, as well as for those who wish to apply for advanced research degrees. The degree thus offers a highly regarded postgraduate qualification relevant to a wide range of professional careers, as well as intensive research and language training for students planning to prepare a doctoral dissertation.
The course introduces the latest research approaches and methodologies in African studies at an advanced level. Students have the advantage of developing an interdisciplinary approach to critical thinking and academic writing, the opportunity to develop skills in an African language, and also receive specialist research training.
The MPhil in African Studies is structured by four key elements: a core course, an option course, a dissertation and language training. Full details of the course can be found on the Centre’s website.
By the end of the course, students should have acquired:
- a deeper knowledge and understanding of African studies and its critical debates;
- a conceptual and contextual understanding enabling the evaluation of past and present research on Africa and its methodologies;
- the knowledge and technical skills required for pursuing original research in their chosen area;
- the ability to situate their own research within current and past methodological and interpretative developments in the field; and
- increased proficiency in speaking an African language or language spoken in Africa, and/or in using an African language or language spoken in Africa for academic purposes.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details