Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK high 2:1 honours degree.
A knowledge of French and/or German may be deemed advantageous.
Months of entry
This MPhil caters both for beginners in Akkadian and those with some previous knowledge of the language. A demanding course, this MPhil delivers competence in the language and specialist knowledge of culture and history over a relatively short time.
All MPhil students in the Department of Archaeology take a Research Skills module and write a dissertation (15,000 words maximum). For the MPhil in Assyriology students also choose either three modules selected from a list of modules in Assyriology or two modules selected from a list of modules in Assyriology and one two-term module or two one-term modules from a list of optional modules in the Department of Archaeology. Students taking the MPhil in Assyriology must take a minimum of one Language module from the list of modules in Assyriology published by the Degree Committee.
Modules typically offered include:
- Akkadian (Akkadian language and texts or Advanced Akkadian language and texts)
- Sumerian language and texts (Sumerian is normally only available to those with some previous knowledge of Akkadian).
- Mesopotamian culture (Mesopotamian literature or Mesopotamian religion and scholarship)
- Archaeology of Mesopotamia ('Prehistory to early States' or 'States to Empires' )
Not all modules will be available in all years.
To provide the student with a good working knowledge of one or both of the principal languages of ancient Mesopotamia (Akkadian and Sumerian) and the cuneiform script, combined with a detailed study of aspects of the archaeology and culture of Mesopotamia, and (where appropriate) other regions. Students also learn to participate in an academic discussion at a postgraduate level and to produce a substantial piece of independent written original research (the dissertation).
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details