Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High II.i Honours Degree.
Months of entry
The MPhil in Bioscience Enterprise (MBE) programme is an intensive, taught science and business course intended for those who have an interest in enterprise and the ambition to found technology companies or take up leadership, executive or consultancy roles in the life sciences sector.
The educational aims of the MPhil are to:
- enhance understanding of life sciences and related technological developments;
- foster research and analytical skills and methodologies;
- develop written and verbal communication skills;
- provide knowledge of the ethical, legal and regulatory issues associated with bringing scientific advances to market; and
- develop applied business skills, including those that enable students to identify potential business opportunities arising from research in life sciences and related areas; exploit entrepreneurial opportunities; and undertake senior executive roles within biotechnology companies and other commercial entities.
Other aims of the programme are to:
- provide a coherent and supportive learning environment, with students working closely with teachers drawn from both academic and biotechnology business executive backgrounds and whose teaching is informed by their own knowledge and business expertise;
- develop new areas of teaching in response to advances of scholarship and the community; and
- continue to attract outstanding students, irrespective of race, nationality, background, gender or physical disability.
Learning is based on real business examples and lectures and case studies are frequently delivered by senior company executives. There is usually an opportunity to gain a global perspective of the industry sector during a study tour to a international biotechnology business cluster, an event that is planned and led by members of the class. Additional costs are incurred by students who elect to participate in this activity or incur other discretionary expenses associated with participation in the programme. The latter may include UK company visits; conference attendance; travel, occasional meals and refreshments; joint membership of an industry organisation and other miscellaneous expenses.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details