Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
January, April, October
The MPhil in Earth Sciences is a 12-month full-time programme of research that introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. It involves carrying out an original piece of research and is examined on the basis of a thesis; there are no taught courses. This MPhil by research will provide you with a suitable background to work as a research assistant as well as with the grounding for further study towards a doctoral level research degree.
If you are exploring the possibility of postgraduate study at the Department of Earth Sciences in Cambridge, you will:
- have either done an undergraduate degree in an Earth science or geoscience subject or perhaps want to use your degree from another science subject such as physics, chemistry, mathematics or biological sciences;
- relish the stimulus of one of the UK's premier research departments.
The main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focussed research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details