Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours Degree.
Applicants should have a background in engineering, science, or a related subject.
Months of entry
The MPhil is offered by the Department of Engineering as a full-time one-year course of research, introducing students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focused research under close supervision in the discipline of Engineering; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
This general MPhil is very flexible, and can be tailored to suit each student's particular interests, provided a suitable supervisor is available. Potential applicants should contact potential supervisors in advance of applying in order to determine the viability of their proposed research subject, and the supervisor's capacity to accept an MPhil student.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details