Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Students should have achieved at least an upper second-class honours degree (or overseas equivalent) prior to admission.
Months of entry
January, April, October
This full-time course is designed to provide further training in research in materials science after a minimum of at least three years’ university-level education to UK bachelor’s level, or overseas equivalent.
MPhil students are encouraged to participate in many of the training opportunities and other activities available to students in the University, and become fully integrated members of the Department’s Research School.
Students carry out a one-year research programme under the supervision of a member of the academic staff of the Department of Materials Science.
The main aims of the programme are:
- to give students with relevant experience at a first-degree level the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research, research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details