Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
January, April, October
The MPhil is offered by the Department of Physics as a full-time period of research and introduces students to research skills and specialist knowledge. Its main aims are:
- to give students with relevant experience, at a first-degree level, the opportunity to carry out focused research in the discipline under close supervision; and
- to give students the opportunity to acquire or develop skills and expertise relevant to their research interests.
By the end of the programme, students will have demonstrated:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies;
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research; and
- produced a dissertation for examination.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details