Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK high 2:1 or a first at BA level from a UK university or equivalent. Degree-level knowledge of written Japanese is required.
Months of entry
This MPhil in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies by Research (Japanese Studies) provides initial research training and, in most cases, aims to develop students' linguistic skills as well as methodological sophistication. Please note that the one-year MPhil in Asian and Middle Eastern Studies by Research (Japanese Studies) is offered by thesis only, and is not a taught course option.
At the end of the MPhil programme, students will be expected to have:
- acquired, where appropriate, the ability to read, interpret and translate primary sources in Modern and/or classical Japanese;
- acquired a good knowledge of the general scholarship on modern and/or classical Japanese culture(s);
- acquired an in-depth knowledge of the secondary literature relevant to the subject of their thesis;
- developed the ability to formulate original research questions and to produce a well-constructed argument to answer them, in the form of an independent piece of research based on the use of primary and secondary sources; and
- developed independent library- and internet-based research skills concomitant with successful completion of a Masters-level
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time11 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details