Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants for this course should have achieved a UK High 2:1 Honours Degree.
Months of entry
The Advanced Diploma is a nine-month postgraduate qualification especially designed for those who already have a degree, but in a subject other than Theology and Religious Studies. Taking this course may be a first step to doing an MPhil or PhD in Theology or Religious Studies in this or another university, but does not count towards such a degree.
On completion of the Advanced Diploma students should have:
- made the transition from another discipline, usually in the humanities, and acquired a grounding in the key concepts and methods in the subject;
- acquired advanced understanding in up to four sub-disciplines of the subject;
- acquired detailed knowledge of a specific topic, either in a chosen sub-discipline, or of an interdisciplinary character, and of basic principles of scholarly research, through the writing of a dissertation; and
- had the opportunity to acquire a basic or advanced proficiency in a scriptural language of a major religious tradition and in the interpretation of scriptural texts.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time9 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details