Applicants will normally:
- hold or be expected to gain a minimum 2:1 degree
- have GCSE grade C/grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths
- have to pass the NCTL skills tests in literacy and numeracy
Apply online at UCAS.
Months of entry
Share and develop your interest in geography through teaching, and develop as a reflective practitioner, encouraging and supporting learners.
Teaching is an extremely rewarding and challenging career. Our course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to be an outstanding teacher.
We aim to nurture teachers who are passionate about the development of their own and their pupils' learning.
Why Study Secondary Geography PGCE with us?
The course is designed to support, stimulate and develop the emerging Secondary Geography teacher. The main areas of focus will assist in the development of reflective, professional, practitioners eager to engage, contribute and lead in school based learning for children and young adults. Trainees will demonstrate:
- confidence and enthusiasm that engages and inspires.
- an understanding of best practice and a growing repertoire of effective learning and teaching methods.
- a value of and commitment to collaborative learning.
- a recognition of assessment as a key to successful learning; and develop a range of effective approaches, strategies and techniques that engage and stimulate the learner.
- an understanding of the place and purpose of the subject within the curriculum today, securely knowing why it is relevant to young people.
- a wide range of teaching skills being applied in contrasting settings, showing adaptability and flexibility.
The course is designed to ensure you are confident in all basic national curriculum requirements.
How will I be taught?
Professional and academic learning takes place within University and partnership settings in lectures, seminars, practical workshops and tutorials.
School-based learning will move you from observation through group work to whole class teaching.
How will I be assessed?
- Professional and academic learning is assessed through assignments and directed activities.
- School-based learning is assessed holistically against the Teachers’ Standards.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Faculty of Education and Children's Services