Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
Applicants will normally:
- hold or be expected to gain a minimum 2:2 degree (2:1 preferred)
- have GCSE grade C/grade 4 or above in English Language and Maths
- have to pass the NCTL skills tests in literacy and numeracy
Apply online at UCAS.
Months of entry
As one of the earliest training colleges in the country, the University of Chester has a proud and established education history of over 175 years.
Teaching is an extremely rewarding and challenging career. Our course is designed to provide you with the knowledge, understanding and skills that you need to be an outstanding teacher.
We aim to nurture teachers who are passionate about the development of their own and their pupils' learning.
Why Study Secondary Mathematics PGCE with us
During the course, you will learn how to encourage young people’s mathematical skills through your subject specialism.
Maths trainees enjoy a variety of educational experiences, the Subject Enrichment Week allows students to work with Primary and Secondary pupils to undertake ‘Mathamagic'; an engaging activity that will look at physical, practical, and collaborative mathematics activities and competitions.
Applicants may apply for the Mathematics Enhancement Course to study prior to the PGCE in order to gain a deeper understanding of mathematics.
The course is designed to ensure you are confident in all basic national curriculum requirements.
How will I be taught?
Professional and academic learning takes place within University and partnership settings in lectures, seminars, practical workshops and tutorials.
School-based learning will move you from observation through group work to whole class teaching.
How will I be assessed?
- Professional and academic learning is assessed through assignments and directed activities.
- School-based learning is assessed holistically against the Teachers’ Standards.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Faculty of Education and Children's Services