1st or upper 2nd class honours degree (2:1).
Students with equivalent experience / qualifications in a field relevant to the proposed study area may be considered.
Months of entry
Whether you are progressing from undergraduate studies or you are an established professional with a desire to diversify your practice, our exciting and innovative Creative Practice masters will enable you to develop and extend your creative portfolio and boost your professional aspirations.
Multidisciplinary practice is a defining aspect of the programme and you will be part of a rewarding learning environment that opens-up opportunities for creative exchange or collaboration on projects.
The choice is yours. You will draft, initiate and project-manage your own creative briefs, with guidance from programme tutors. You can specialise in one medium or work on projects, either individually or collaboratively, across multiple media. You will have access to technician expertise and the industry-standard facilities at our Brampton Road campus. Our MA will give you the practical, technical, and applied knowledge to develop the flexible skills needed to forge a career within a constantly shifting cultural landscape.
The MA Creative Practice programme is structured across a full-calendar year starting in late September and culminating the following August. The programme leads towards the completion of a major MA Project, and professional presentation in the final Masters exhibition. Working under the guidance of your tutors you can approach the practical modules thematically, as part of one overarching project, or as a series of mini briefs.
ON THIS COURSE YOU WILL...
- Study in industry-standard studio spaces that include Mac and PC computer suites carrying the latest high-specification design and video production software and hardware.
- Benefit from opportunities to showcase your work within a professional context including the final MA show and graduate exhibitions in London.
- Have access to technical expertise and facilities including the printmaking studio, 3D workshop, audio-visual store, photography darkrooms, editing suites, motion capture tech and a production studio with a full lighting rig and multi-camera set-up.
- Gain from the professional development built into module content - tutors have great industry links (including a Hollywood scriptwriter and comic-strip artist), which gives you the opportunity to network and make industry contacts.
- Learn from academic practitioners that are experts in their field, have published and/or exhibited nationally and internationally and are involved in practice-led research.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Our learning environment works to cultivate practical and theoretical expertise to help foster versatility in creative media. We encourage innovative, lateral approaches to creative practice though a structured timetable of theoretical lectures, practical workshops, student led seminars, visiting speakers, action based and experiential research, self-directed and tutorial-based learning.
Cultural and visual discourse is taught throughout, displaying the important synthesis between theory and creative practice. You'll fully engage in these processes to develop creative reflexivity, to embed the necessary skills to advance your professional progression and life-long learning.
Module content is comprised of taught, and workshop elements which are centred on exploring creative materials and processes, practice-led research, theoretical frameworks, storytelling techniques and developing the entrepreneurial skills needed to help you succeed as a confident, forward-thinking practitioner.
- Critical Contexts (Semester 1)
- Materials and Processes (Semester 1)
- Media Narratives (Semester 1)
- Creative Practice (Semester 2).
- Project Proposal and Professional Development (Semester 2)
- MA Project (Semester 2: extended)
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Enquiry Centre
- 0333 920 9236