Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
You should have the equivalent to a UK Honours degree, preferably at 2:1 level or above. Candidates with a 2:2 degree may also apply. Preferred degree disciplines are Law, Economics, Geology, Petroleum or Mining Engineering, Finance.
Work experience in the energy/natural resources industry is an advantage, though it is not a strict requirement for admission to the MSc.
Months of entry
Study how government decisions on the provision of energy are structured and enforced. You'll learn about how the rules and agreements link together to access energy and take it to the consumer.
This course focuses on electricity and gas, with options to study hydrocarbon production. You'll examine how energy is regulated, the legal structure of electricity and gas industries, and the liberalisation of energy markets.
You will learn about the pressures of energy transition (using gas as a bridge to more renewable power), energy disputes and dispute resolution, and the influences of environmental standards between different countries.
You'll also study:
- the international and domestic dimensions of electricity and gas as markets integrate
- regulatory controls over energy markets – and the space for government intervention
- the interaction of long term contracts and short term markets
- the allocation of risk between producers / generators and suppliers
- project financing of energy ventures
- how governments get what they want as private investors provide the service
- the mechanisms to pass through costs or impose subsidies
You do not need to be a lawyer to take this course.
CEPMLP has been a global voice of energy law and policy since 1977. We are now working towards the transition to low-carbon economies worldwide. With over 6,000 postgraduate alumni from more than 50 countries, we prepare our graduates for high–profile careers in the public and private sectors.
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- full time12 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Dorothy Stewart
- +44 (0)1382 385453