A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a relevant biological science. You should also have at least two years' experience working in a relevant discipline, in a healthcare setting, and currently be working in a transfusion, transplantation or tissue-banking environment.
All applicants must also meet our English language requirements.
Months of entry
This part-time programme is organised with the support of the Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS). In the fields of Transfusion, Transplantation and Tissue Banking, SNBTS has a leading international reputation and the programme is accredited by the Institute of Biomedical Sciences (IBMS), the professional body for Biomedical Scientists in the United Kingdom.
The programme has been designed to be aligned to the NHS requirements and stipulations relating to career progression for Biomedical Scientists, Clinical Scientists and other healthcare professionals working in these fields.
The programme will give you in-depth expertise and knowledge of the science, regulations and international practices in transfusion, transplantation and tissue banking, for those aiming for more senior management roles in healthcare organisations.
The programme covers the following areas:
- Fundamentals of Transfusion Science
- Quality and GMP
- Blood Donation Processing and Testing
- Immunology and Molecular Biology of Transfusion
- Clinical Blood Banking
- Transplantation and Tissue Banking
- Information technology and Donation
- Biopharmaceutical Transfusion and Clinical Trials
- Management and Communication
- Governance/Ethics/Risks of Transfusion
- Research skills
Information for international students
To find out about the support offered to international students at Edinburgh from arrival to graduation visit our website
Fees and funding
Qualification, course duration and attendance options
- part time36 months
- Campus-based learningis available for this qualification
Course contact details
- Programme Director, Anne Thomson
- +44 (0) 141 357 7700