MScR: A UK 2:1 honours degree, or its international equivalent, in a related subject.
PhD: A UK 2:1 honours degree and a masters degree, or their international equivalents, in a related subject. We may also consider your application if you have equivalent qualifications or experience.
Months of entry
First taught at Edinburgh in 1976, Japanese has developed to encompass a thriving postgraduate research programme. Covering a wide spectrum of interests, it also allows for joint supervision, should your research goals be interdisciplinary.
Postgraduate researchers can choose from array of topics covering Japanese history, politics and the performing and literary arts. These include:
- Japanese performing arts, both traditional (especially Japanese drama of the Tokugawa period) and contemporary
- Japanese/Chinese relations
- media and politics
- the history of Japanese religion (especially Zhenyan or Shingon Buddhism)
- the Meiji period
- traditional and modern Japanese literature
Qualification and course duration
MSc by research
Course contact details
- Graduate School Administrator
- +44 (0)131 650 4114