A UK 2:1 honours degree or its international equivalent.
All applicants must have one of the following qualifications as evidence of their English language ability:
an undergraduate or masters degree, that was taught and assessed in English in a majority English speaking country as defined by UK Visas and Immigration
IELTS Academic: total 6.5 (at least 6.0 in each module)
- TOEFL-iBT: total 92 (at least 20 in each module)
- PTE(A): total 61 (at least 56 in each of the "Communicative Skills" sections; the "Enabling Skills" sections are not considered)
- CAE and CPE: total 176 (at least 169 in each module)
- Trinity ISE: ISE II with distinctions in all four components
Degrees taught and assessed in English must be no more than two and a half years old at the beginning of your degree programme. Language tests must be no more than two years old at the beginning of your degree programme.
Months of entry
The Masters in Medical Sciences programme is the only one of its kind in the UK and is proven to give graduates the competitive edge in the job market. It’s designed for high-calibre medicine graduates who want to explore and benefit from medical research, perhaps with a view to pursuing a PhD or a career in research.
We offer you the opportunity to undertake a research project in a laboratory or department relevant to your speciality. The choice of research projects carried out is wide and ranges from bench research to clinical research. Examples of completed projects are:
1. Therapeutic Hypothermia Decreases Intracranial Pressure in Severe Traumatic Brain Injury
2. Renal Function in the 11β-Hydroxysteroid Dehydrogenase Type 1 Null Mouse
3. Immune cell populations in the mouse lung during RSV infection
4. Salt Appetite in Stable Heart Disease and Healthy Volunteers
You will need to secure a supervisor and project before starting the degree.
Fees and funding
See Scholarships and Student Funding Services for other funding opportunities:
Qualification and course duration
MMedSci by research
Course contact details
- Programme Director, Richard Weller
- +44 (0)131 536 3229