Visit the institution website for COVID‑19 updates
About University of Essex
We are Essex
Home to the curious, brave, and bold. We’re a university where curiosity prevails, and where exploring new ways of thinking and pushing boundaries, i’n’t just encouraged’ it’s expect’d. We’re about people who love to learn how, but want to challenge why.
We were named University of the Year at the Times Higher Education Awards 2018 for our determination to do things differently and put student success at the centre of everything we do.
Be taught and supported by world-leading academics, have the freedom to ask difficult questions and have a genuine license to take intellectual risks as a postgraduate student at the University of Essex. We provide you with much more than a–degree – we want you to ask questions and to challenge convention.
For over fifty years, we have established a global reputation for pioneering research which helps to change lives. We were ranked Gold in the most recent Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF 2017) which means we deliver an excellent educational experience. Our trailblazing research continues to change the world for the better and we are ranked 25th in the UK for research quality (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2021).
Here you can discover the world in one place with a global reputation and outlook. Our international community attracts students from over 140 different countries, making us one of the most internationally diverse universities on the planet.
Now’s your chance to join Nobel Prize-winners, award-winning directors, presidents, well-loved actors, astronauts and over 100,000 other alumni who have gone on to shape the world and share their Essex spirit.
Are you tenacious, inquisitive, impatient for change? Are you one of us?
Join our lively and supportive postgraduate community and immerse yourself in pioneering thinking.
Living and learning at Essex
Choose from a wide range of disciplines and enjoy the broader experience on offer – get ready to work hard and play hard. To discover your perfect course, visit our course finder and start exploring now.
Our staff provide one-to-one guidance and our postgraduate courses equip you with the skills demanded by today's employers in a highly competitive world, ensuring that your employability is ahead of the game.
But it’s not all work and no fun. When you join Essex, you’ll automatically gain over 13,000 new brothers and sisters – your Students' Union family.
Our award-winning Students’ Union is one of the most active in the country, and with events on every night of the week, hundreds of clubs and societies to join, and opportunities for volunteering and paid work, you’ll never run out of things to do.
We understand that money matters, which is why we’ve developed a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships, to make sure all of our students have the potential to succeed.
We’re split over three separate campuses, which each offer a unique and exciting student experience.
- Our largest campus
- Two miles from the town centre – the oldest recorded town, a lively and engaging place to live
- Set in over 200 acres of beautiful, historic parkland
- Compact – you’ll find shops, cafés, bars, a fantastic student centre and library, a theatre, art gallery, computer labs, great sports facilities and one of the best Students’ Unions in the country, all on one site
- Under an hour from London and direct links to Stansted airport
- Modern, purpose-built, high-quality teaching and research environment
- In the heart of Southend-on-Sea – the buzz and amenities of the town centre on your doorstep
- Combines teaching spaces, IT labs, open study areas, rehearsal studios, a medical skills lab, a theatre, and a brand new Student’ Union venue, with a business hub and retail units
- Access to even more cutting-edge facilities at The Forum
- Seven miles of award-winning coastline
- Under an hour from London and Southend airport less than ten minutes away
- Home to many of the East 15 Acting School’s programmes
- One of the most innovative acting schools in the UK
- Five minutes’ walk from the nearest London Underground station – within half an hour you’ll be in central London
We like to make things that much easier for our students and that’s why, at either our Colchester or Southend Campus, we’ll guarantee you university-provided accommodation for your first year of study.
Starting from £99 per week, our comprehensive range of award-winning accommodation is sure to make you feel at home – we’ve got something to suit every budget and every personality.
All our university-provided accommodation consists of single study bedrooms, grouped in self-contained flats of various sizes, with communal kitchen-dining facilities. No matter where you live on-campus, you’ll have access to free Wi-Fi.
Find out everything you need to know about accommodation at Essex on our website.
Visiting the University of Essex
We hold a number of exciting and informative postgraduate events throughout the year, including our Postgraduate Open Evening, and departmental events.
Open evenings are a fantastic way to get to know us better. You’ll be able to:
- Meet academics from all departments and chat to current Essex students
- Find out about applying for postgraduate study
- Discover more about fees and funding
- Tour our campuses
January starts available
We have introduced January start dates to help those who have been affected by the current situation and those who wish to start their studies later to accommodate personal circumstances such as travelling from another country
When you choose to start your Masters degree is entirely up to you and what suits your personal needs best. Whether you begin in October or January you will qualify with the same degree at the end of your period of study.
If you’re unable to attend an event, don’t worry – we’d love to see you anyway. Book a visit any week day throughout the year by emailing email@example.com or phoning us on +44 (0)12060872719