About University of Essex
We are Essex
We’re on the side of independent thinkers, the bold, the inquisitive, and those impatient for change.
Be taught and supported by world-leading academics, have the freedom to ask difficult questions and a genuine license to take intellectual risks as a postgraduate student at the University of Essex.
Don’t wait for change, make it happen – now’s your chance to join our lively and supportive, 3,000-strong postgraduate community. The brightest and the best travel from all over the globe to further their studies at Essex, immersing themselves in pioneering thinking, and breaking intellectual boundaries. If you’re keen to make an impact and change the world around you, welcome home.
Join Nobel Prize-winners, award-winning directors, presidents, well-loved actors, astronauts, and over 85,000 other alumni who have gone on to shape the world and share the Essex spirit.
Think you’ve got what it takes?
We are Essex. Are you?
For over fifty years, we’ve provided a supportive and empowering, research-intense environment, and our hard work is evident. We’re placed in the top 20 in the UK for research excellence (REF 2014), coming a fantastic fourth for social science, and housing the highest-rated politics department in the country since national assessments began. We have been ranked as gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework (2017) which means we deliver an excellent educational experience and we are ranked 22nd in the Times Good University Guide (2018).
Living and learning at Essex
Choose from a wide range of disciplines and enjoy the broader experience on offer – get ready to work hard and play hard. To discover your perfect course, visit our course finder and start exploring now.
Our staff provide one-to-one guidance and our postgraduate courses equip you with the skills demanded by today's employers in a highly competitive world, ensuring that your employability is ahead of the game.
But it’s not all work and no fun. When you join Essex, you’ll automatically gain over 13,000 new brothers and sisters – your Students' Union family.
Our award-winning Students’ Union is one of the most active in the country, and with events on every night of the week, hundreds of clubs and societies to join, and opportunities for volunteering and paid work, you’ll never run out of things to do.
We understand that money matters, which is why we’ve developed a comprehensive package of bursaries and scholarships, to make sure all of our students have the potential to succeed.
We’re split over three separate campuses, which each offer a unique and exciting student experience.
- Our largest campus
- Two miles from the town centre – the oldest recorded town, a lively and engaging place to live
- Set in over 200 acres of beautiful, historic parkland
- Compact – you’ll find shops, cafés, bars, a fantastic student centre and library, a theatre, art gallery, computer labs, great sports facilities and one of the best Students’ Unions in the country, all on one site
- Under an hour from London and direct links to Stansted airport
- Modern, purpose-built, high-quality teaching and research environment
- In the heart of Southend-on-Sea – the buzz and amenities of the town centre on your doorstep
- Combines teaching spaces, IT labs, open study areas, rehearsal studios, a medical skills lab, a theatre, and a brand new Student’ Union venue, with a business hub and retail units
- Access to even more cutting-edge facilities at The Forum
- Seven miles of award-winning coastline
- Under an hour from London and Southend airport less than ten minutes away
- Home to many of the East 15 Acting School’s programmes
- One of the most innovative acting schools in the UK
- Five minutes’ walk from the nearest London Underground station – within half an hour you’ll be in central London
Starting from just over £75 per week (some of the cheapest in the UK!), our comprehensive range of award-winning accommodation is sure to make you feel at home – we’ve got something to suit every budget and every personality.
Visiting the University of Essex
We hold a number of exciting and informative postgraduate events throughout the year, including our Postgraduate Open Evening, and departmental events.
Open evenings are a fantastic way to get to know us better. You’ll be able to:
- Meet academics from all departments and chat to current Essex students
- Find out about applying for postgraduate study
- Discover more about fees and funding
- Tour our campuses
If you’re unable to attend an event, don’t worry – we’d love to see you anyway. Book a visit any week day throughout the year by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or phoning us on +44 (0)12060872719
- Social media accounts